iTunes and DRM Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Over all I really like iTunes and would really like to use it to rip/encode any CDs I purchase. But I am concerned that it may add DRM to my MP3 files? As I dont know much about iTunes in this area I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on this. I know the MP3s purchased via iTunes online have DRM but didnt know about encoding with iTunes.

Reason I ask I had Sony MiniDisc player years back and I am bad about buying used CDs from music stores and loosing the disc when I am done. That lead to me with a bunch of music frozen I couldn't transfer that I legally purchased.. /cry :(

Thanks,
Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Over all I really like iTunes and would really like to use it to rip/encode any CDs I purchase. But I am concerned that it may add DRM to my MP3 files?

It doesn't. Although I personally recommend using X Lossless Decoder to rip your CDs. It is, hands down, the best there is at this. At least on OS X.

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
C

chas_m

MP3 files (a) have no facility for DRM and (b) iTunes doesn't add any DRM to your ripped files regardless of what format you choose, and (c) Apple dropped DRM on music years ago after convincing the record companies it was not needed/was hindering sales.

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MP3 files (a) have no facility for DRM and (b) iTunes doesn't add any DRM to your ripped files regardless of what format you choose, and (c) Apple dropped DRM on music years ago after convincing the record companies it was not needed/was hindering sales.

Good info. Thank you.

I will not pay 20-25 USD for a CD, but I do like to own my own music. I however dont like the idea of feeling like someone is manhandling my collection. So DRM is a big turn off for me.

C

chas_m

By virtue of most albums having 10-12 songs on them these days, most albums on iTunes are $10 or so.

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By virtue of most albums having 10-12 songs on them these days, most albums on iTunes are $10 or so.

I was noticing that just yesterday while taking a closer look at iTunes. Now if there was just something good to listen to.. LOL..

These days I find most of my music to be older stuff I already have like Eric Clapton, The Doors, Fleetwood Mac, etc.. Now and then I find a new artist that intrigues me like Ramona Falls - Intuit album or Stereophonics from a few years back. Most of my listening these days is from Shoutcast Channels.. :[

C

chas_m

Trust me, there's still plenty of good music (based on any taste) being produced today. Finding it gets tricky though ... but then the good stuff has always been buried beneath the surface.

Using services like Shoutcast can really help you discover new bands that are worthwhile. Given the artists that you listed, I'd suggest the Decemberists' latest album or Echo and the Bunnymen's most recent one (they can get quite Doors-y at times, in fact ISTR that they did a cover of People Are Strange with Ray M on keyboards!).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I was noticing that just yesterday while taking a closer look at iTunes. Now if there was just something good to listen to.. LOL..

These days I find most of my music to be older stuff I already have like Eric Clapton, The Doors, Fleetwood Mac, etc.. Now and then I find a new artist that intrigues me like Ramona Falls - Intuit album or Stereophonics from a few years back. Most of my listening these days is from Shoutcast Channels.. :[

These are not new but they are very good in my opinion :)

Screen Shot 2012-12-04 at 09.24.39.png

Screen Shot 2012-12-04 at 09.17.43.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Using services like Shoutcast can really help you discover new bands that are worthwhile. Given the artists that you listed, I'd suggest the Decemberists' latest album or Echo and the Bunnymen's most recent one (they can get quite Doors-y at times, in fact ISTR that they did a cover of People Are Strange with Ray M on keyboards!).

Loving the Decemberists at the moment. They have some nice sounds out there and their "We all raise our voices to the Air" Live recording is a testament to what they have done :)
My fav tune off that is The Infanta

Thanks to the above for the Shoutcast info. Just found some awesome Goa & Psychedelic Trance. Bringing my youth back ;)

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Been pulling them up on youtube, pretty good I may try out iTunes and download a album.

C

chas_m

pendlewitch: you have excellent taste in music!! :)

Exodist: two things I totally forgot to tell you:

1. The greatest thing about iTunes is that you can buy just the one great song rather than the whole album (well, that and nothing ever goes out of print)

2. Great tip: look up your favourite albums in iTunes, then check out the "listeners also bought" for a great way to find similar and unfamiliar music.

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

2. Great tip: look up your favourite albums in iTunes, then check out the "listeners also bought" for a great way to find similar and unfamiliar music.

Indeed, forgot all about that.. Thank you I will. I enjoy discovering new music.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.