dual monitor inverted color problem

Reaction score
Hi,
First post here.
I'm using MacBookPro with an older Mac Monitor out of the Thunderbolt port for Dual Screen set up. Never had any problem until yesterday suddenly the monitor is showing inverted colors. I've trawled forums & tried every suggestion and more.
The problem is that when I go to system prefs and play around with Displays all I can manage to do is swap the problem back and forward between my monitor to the MacBookPro screen. Same problem when I choose 'Accessibility' and check 'invert colors'; the problem just swaps back and forth.
I've also unplugged everything, restarted, shut down. I've tried the other supposed invert short cut that was suggested: 'cntrl, optn, command, 8', nothing happens.
Need to solve quickly so any suggestions welcome.
And the larger question: why the **** did this suddenly happen?

UPDATE: I just solved it!
No sooner had I posted & I kept trouble shooting.
I've got an old adapter to connect my Studio Display. I unplugged both power and the DVI cord (or whatever it's called), plugged back in and restarted and it's fixed itself. I clearly needed to broadcast the problem before I could solve it.
Thanks MAC Forums!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Sierra, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S
It's always great when posters who fix their problems, actually post the fix...

Thank you!

Bill

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.