Yet another Drive problem

Reaction score
OK. I just got my 1T hard-drive replaced under warranty on my iMac 27 back in October. I learned a hard lesson - have a back-up. So I bought a G Drive mini (500GB), and hooked it up. It's worked fine for the last month. Now all of a sudden, I keep getting pop-ups saying that Time Machine cannot perform a backup because the file couldn't be created, or something to that effect.

I clicked on Time Machine, and I was in no-mans land. Nothing worked. No back, no forward, no escaping. I had to shut down my computer via the power button (I know, not the preferred way of shutting down), because I couldn't get out of the frozen Time Machine screen.

I tried to eject the G Drive mini, but it said that a program was using it. I forced an eject. I reconnected it and it popped right back up and did a backup immediately. Worked fine for almost 12 hours. Then this morning, back to the same problem.

I repeated all the previous steps, but now the G Drive mini won't even show up at all.

Suggestions?

All the best,
Glenn

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I suspect the drive may be defective. If the G drive is covered by warranty (it should be) I would contact the manufacturer and ask for an RMA. You've probably used it too long to be able to return it from where you purchased it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.