Incorrect formatted external hard drive.....

Reaction score
I got a Seagate external hard drive and used it on a Windows computer, then tried to use it on my Mac (unsuccessfully). It wouldn't let me drag anything to the disk. The format of the "Expansion Drive" is Windows NT File System (NTFS). How do I format it so that I can use it on my Mac, and will I lose any files from the time I transferred files on the Microsoft computer? Thanks so much!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not a topic for the "Lounge". Moved to correct forum.

You can reformat the drive by using Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. (Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility) Format the drive to Mac OS Journaled.

But first backup all the files on that drive as formatting will destroy all the data.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Are you planning to keep using the drive with Windows in addition to with the Mac? If you are don't format it as Mac OS Journaled Windows won't read it.

If the drive will be used on both platforms you do have some options though:

1. Format the drive as FAT 32. Both platforms can read this format but each file is limited to less than 4GB.
2. Mac your Mac write to NTFS drives using third-party software.
3. I believe both platforms can read drives formated in Ex-Fat.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.