Mac wireless internet not working!

Reaction score
Hi! I have a white macbook os x version 10.6.8 and i've had it for almost 3 years now and i've been having troubles getting connected to the wireless internet. In the bar it says I'm connected and the light is green when I go to network preferences but when I try to go on any page I simply can't. It says im not connected. Sometimes I notice that the network bars have an exclamation mark and thats when I go to assistant and start trying to fix whatever is going on and before it would eventually work but now it doesn't at all. Lately it just says i'm connected but I can't do anything that involves the internet so I cant really do anything if it says im connected. I have a wireless modem Belkin but my sister has a toshiba and it works perfectly without a problem always and this happened to me in my other house so it has to be my mac. can someone please help me???! i've been going through this for a while and i just dont know what to do...

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums

Once connected, go to System Preferences->Network and then click on your Airport adapter on the left. On the right, you should get some information about your connection state and your IP address. If it says connected, but your IP address is something like 259.164.xx.xx, then you have a self-assigned IP address and that's not going to allow you to get onto the Internet.

Check on the Belkin router or your sister's Toshiba to see what IP address range is being used..

Has the issue with getting onto the wireless always been there or only started recently? Does it work if you turn Wireless off and on? Does it work when you initially start up?

OP
B
Reaction score
Welcome to Mac-Forums

Once connected, go to System Preferences->Network and then click on your Airport adapter on the left. On the right, you should get some information about your connection state and your IP address. If it says connected, but your IP address is something like 259.164.xx.xx, then you have a self-assigned IP address and that's not going to allow you to get onto the Internet.

Check on the Belkin router or your sister's Toshiba to see what IP address range is being used..

Has the issue with getting onto the wireless always been there or only started recently? Does it work if you turn Wireless off and on? Does it work when you initially start up?

Thanks! It has been going on for about a year now. When I was in Mexico, I had an Inifitum modem and even if I reset it, it would still have the exclamation mark. I didn't know how to fix that and I dont know how to fix this new problem saying that I have signal but I can't use the internet. Now I'm using the internet, not with my wireless network but with another one that my mac gets that doesn't have a password but I would really like to use my own. Before (as in a few of weeks ago until a couple of days ago) it would work for a while then it wouldn't. I had to be changing networks every 10 minutes which is very frustrating just so I can use the internet without waiting for one network to just work again when it wanted to. It's very strange but hopefully there's a way to fix it.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you are using another unsecured wireless network, then at least that shows the wireless does work on your computer. This is a pretty unsafe thing to do BTW, if you can get onto that network without a password, so can anyone else and there is a potential of them getting access to sensitive information.

What kind of security do you have set on your Belkin router? Is it updated to the latest firmware?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.