Replace HD in MBP

Reaction score
The new HD I fitted in July in my (now) 18-month old 13" MBP appears to be faulty. At any rate, a hardware check gives error 4HDD/11/40000000:SATA(0,0). Can anyone confirm that this means the HD is faulty? I can't find that error code anywhere. I ran the HW check after the machine refused to shut down, and took almost 15 minutes to boot, with reloading the OS having no positive effect whatsoever. The drive is a conventional dynamic 500gb Seagate.7200 one.

Assuming it does mean the HD is faulty, rather than just unsuitable for the machine, I propose replacing it with Seagate Momentous XT 750gb composite drive. Can anyone tell me if this drive is suitable for the machine?

Assuming it is suitable, will it be obvious how to set it up or are there "tricks of the trade" I need to be aware of? Clearly the OS (10.6) needs to be on the solid state portion, but should I also put other software there? Until I fit it I have no idea what the logical structure of the drive is.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks! Unfortunately I don't live in a country with an Apple store so I'm still left wondering.

Assuming the HD is in fact faulty, what about the second part of my question? Can I fit the combo drive I mentioned?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Thanks! Unfortunately I don't live in a country with an Apple store so I'm still left wondering.

Assuming the HD is in fact faulty, what about the second part of my question? Can I fit the combo drive I mentioned?

Is this the HDD you are talking about?

9.5mm or .37" will fit in your MBP.

If it is 12mm or larger it will be a tight fit or not fit at all.

OP
P
Reaction score
Yes, that's it. It should fit. I'm more concerned with the logical/electronic aspects - does it come up as two separate drives? Do I just install the OS on the SSD, or can I install other software as well? Can I restore the backup I took from the 500gb dynamic drive (I presume the answer's no)?

If I have to start again from the supplied install DVD that's most irritating, as it's 10.6.6 and it takes hours to raise that to 10.6.8 - the internet here's very slow and unreliable. I've already lost this post once... DO you know how I can create a replacement install DVD based on 10.6.8?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
While I can't speak to this 2nd gen of the hybrid drive:

Several of us tried the first gen of that hybrid drive.

Replaced mine and chalked it up to lesson learned within 1 week.
I still have it sitting in my office somewhere if you would like a drive cheap.

There were some others that liked that hybrid drive...

initially.

All of the ones I know of, ended up replacing it with a standard drive within months.

OP
P
Reaction score
Why? What was wrong with it? I now own two of the things.

OP
P
Reaction score
For information, I installed the hybrid drive I mentioned above and it works perfectly. The machine is better than it has been for months - it's now actually usable.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
For information, I installed the hybrid drive I mentioned above and it works perfectly. The machine is better than it has been for months - it's now actually usable.

Great news. I'm pretty sure a brand spanking new HDD would be better than an old broken one. :Mischievous:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.