• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Video in iMovie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac , iPad , MBP, iPod
I have just bought a Olympus OM-M5 camera. So I took some video today in HD video. I am able to see it just fine in Lightroom. Next I tried to put it into iMovie. It was just importing ,it shut down iMovie so was unable to get it in to the program. Why would this be ? I have a one year old iMac with lion. Can any of you shed some light on this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
To complete the info you've given us...
How much RAM and how much hard drive free space do you have? What version of iMovie is that? How long are the videos and how large the files?

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac , iPad , MBP, iPod
Hi, the hard drive is 90 procent empty (1 gig) it has 4gig ram. What version iMovie I don't know. My iMac is one year old. 27" 3.1gh . I was trying to import 4 clips total of 8 minutes in HD quality. The highest the camera has. It did not take long to import in to Lightroom.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
Import straight from the SD card and see if the problem occurs again.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac , iPad , MBP, iPod
The strange thing is I did import it to Photoshop just fine , also in to Lightroom but it will not import straight from the card in to iMovie on the imac. The other weird thing is it did import from card to MacBook Pro in to iMovie. iMac runs Lion and MacBook Pro has mountain lion .

C

chas_m

I suspect that improvements in iMovie under Mountain Lion -- particularly with regards to how it handles AVCHD -- is the key there.

I don't know if you can upgrade iMovie to the latest version in Lion, but check the version on your ML machine and the one on your Lion machine and I suspect there will be a difference. Let us know what versions you have and we can suggest further courses of action.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac , iPad , MBP, iPod
Hi Chas_m The Imovie in Mountain lion uploaded the video clips fairly fast. I managed to upload two small clips total of 45 second to the imac it took almost 8 minutes. Took only 1minute in to Photoshop.
The settings are for the imac 960x i forget what the other was, and 25 frames ps. set to Pal as that is what we have here in Australia. The OM-D5 does not have AVCHD to my knowledge. My G3 does have AVCHD and I have never had a problem with that on the Imac with Lion. I has me puzzled why this is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.