iPad for photo editing

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're looking for a light weight device that's easy to tote around and to do photo editing, the MacBook Air would be my choice not an iPad. Of course the MacBook Pro 13" machine offers more in upgrades but is heavier and larger than the Air.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Certainly not as your primary editor - if you're a serious photographer, but there are a million cutesy apps out there that are fun to run images through - and quite a few really good ones. It wouldn't replace your computer if you're a hardcore photoshopper. If you're considering a MBP or iPad - there's really no comparison. The MBP wins.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, Mac Book
Are the new iPads good for photo editing. I have an iMac and a MacBook for travel.
Need another travel tool for myself. I am considering a MBP or iPad. I live in Europe for 6 mos and 6 mos in US.

Would appreciate any opinions or suggestions.

:eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, Mac Book
MBP v. iPad for photos.

Certainly not as your primary editor - if you're a serious photographer, but there are a million cutesy apps out there that are fun to run images through - and quite a few really good ones. It wouldn't replace your computer if you're a hardcore photoshopper. If you're considering a MBP or iPad - there's really no comparison. The MBP wins.

Thanks, I thought that might be the case. I like to travel light but I need a good machine for editing and uploading my photos.

Appreciated!

Janem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, Mac Book
MBP v. iPad for photos.

If you're looking for a light weight device that's easy to tote around and to do photo editing, the MacBook Air would be my choice not an iPad. Of course the MacBook Pro 13" machine offers more in upgrades but is heavier and larger than the Air.

Thank for the ideas and evaluation. I am concerned since I shoot around 5 photos a week, edit and upload to backup.

Again thanks since I had not even thought about the MacBook Air.

Reaction score
FWIW, the iPad isn't bad for "light" editing if you know what you're doing but it probably won't compare to a computer if your edits are serious.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
If they had Lightroom for the iPad then maybe.

C

chas_m

The iPad, contrary to what everyone's written above, is PERFECTLY capable as a photo editor, since MOST people only want to do basic editing to a photo: crop, brighten a little, maybe colour correct, stuff like that.

The iPad has a 99% color-accurate screen (on the two existing Retina models), so it's actually FANTASTIC for quickly touching-up a photo. There's also access to a handful of "effects-oriented" programs and even a very very basic form of Photoshop (Photoshop Express).

However, if you're doing any serious retouching, restoration, pro work, heavy editing -- that sort of thing ... you can't really yet use an iPad for that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.