Can't find Snow Leopard "internal modem"

Reaction score
I must have removed it from the list in Network (Preferences Panel) a long time ago... Preparatory to visiting a friend in Florida who only has dial-up I went to set up the dial-up network again, but cant' figure out how to get it back. Searching Google didn't help. Where did access to "internal modem" go hide (in Snow Leopard) when I removed it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You told us you have Snow Leopard, but which Mac do you have? Macs have not included an internal modem as an option for some time. I'm not even sure which older models included them? Why do you need access to an internal modem?

I suppose if you own a Mac Pro you can still install an internal modem but you didn't tell us which Mac you have.

OP
R
Reaction score
Original MacBook (1,1)

You told us you have Snow Leopard, but which Mac do you have? Macs have not included an internal modem as an option for some time. I'm not even sure which older models included them? Why do you need access to an internal modem?

I suppose if you own a Mac Pro you can still install an internal modem but you didn't tell us which Mac you have.

I have an original MacBook (1,1) which I now only use for travel since I received a "Pro" (5,1) as a hand-me-down a while back. I'm not absolutely sure, but it seems to me I used the original MacBook for dial-up at one time. I need access to the (an) internal modem because my friend in Florida only has dial-up, so I need to set that up (again?).

OP
R
Reaction score
Say something, sure

I forgot to say Thank You for responding, so when a "Say something" link/button appeared I figured that was my cue.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Where did access to "internal modem" go hide (in Snow Leopard) when I removed it?

As chscag and Harry mentioned...the MacBook 1,1 did not come with an internal modem.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you all! It seems I really did forget. Perhaps it would be cheaper to get her a broadband connection--at least for a short while.
-rocketmouse

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
By all means! You don't even want to try viewing a video or doing forums on a dial up connection. You can probably get a minimum broadband connection for a fairly inexpensive subscription. I believe both AT&T and Verizon offer minimum DSL (1 - 3 GB down 750 K up) for less than $20.00 /Mo.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.