I want folders in my dock to open immediately in finder.

Reaction score
I am running Snow Leopard 10.6.8

I have several folders in my dock and I want them to open immediately in finder as soon as I click on them instead of the folder expanding into a grid/fan/list.

Is this possible and if so, how?

Thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Try right clicking the folder you want to open. The last option in the list that appears will open the folder in a Finder window without showing a grid or fan first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Right click & Open requires two clicks, although it won't show the Fan. Left click requires two clicks as well. If you want it to open with one click, go to the folder that encloses your target folder, make an alias of the folder, then drag the alias to the Dock. I tried it, and it works fine. And yes, you can delete the alias from the enclosing folder, and the one in the Dock will still work.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I don'y normally think of the right click option as two clicks since I never let go of the button. Moving up a small amount activates the "Open" option.

I should have thought of the alias technique. I have used it before.

I wonder why simply dragging the target folder to the Dock does not produce the same result. I tried it doesn't. Following your method produces a folder that opens with a single click. Simply dragging the target folder to the Dock produces a folder which behaves as the OP described.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.