x11 Installation Problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
I'm trying to run a program (Darwine) on my computer but it's asking for x11.app, I put in the OEM Tiger Disc and installed everything other than the OS and that didn't work. So I went to the Apple website and downloaded the installer (x11User.pkg) and tried to install it however it says that newer software is already installed. I enabled hidden files with an Apple Script and still can not find the x11.app file in the directory (Applications > Utilities) and it won't come up in Spotlight. I tried installing an installer already on my computer (x11SDK.app) from some time before I bought it (March 2005; bought it in September 2005) with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dylan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Try downloading Pacifist and digging through your install disk until you find the X11.app package and install JUST that package.

This is what I had to do to get it to work on my Powerbook.

Hope that helps.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It's on the Tiger DVD that came with your machine. Insert the DVD into the drive, and when the DVD mounts on the Desktop, scroll around and you will find Optional Installs. Click on that and when it launches it will go to the introduction screen, then it will ask for the Root Password, and ask if you agree or disagree, then it will ask what drive, then take you to the Installation Type screen. Expand Applications and check X11. The rest you should have no problems with. Then X11 will be installed.

Reaction score
If it has installed then it should be in your utilities folder in the applications folder. :cool:

OP
DCraver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
I did install it and it's not there. I'm going to try looking for "Optional Installs" and Pacifist.

A

atforce

omg this is excactly what happened to my powerbook i tried gimp and it didnt work.

OP
DCraver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Yeah except I'm not running the GIMP. I'm running Darwine. GIMP is for n00bs. Be a man and buy Photoshop. Haha. I'm kidding.

OP
DCraver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
You have to reinstall OSX. Just back up all your movies, music, etc. and Reinstall it.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Ah, I thought I saw another thread like this, but couldn't find it. Anyways, once the Tiger disc window is launched, scroll down to the middle System/Installation/Packages/X11User.pkg.

A

atforce

DCraver said:
Yeah except I'm not running the GIMP. I'm running Darwine. GIMP is for n00bs. Be a man and buy Photoshop. Haha. I'm kidding.

ok i am not a materialist and i dotn feel like spending 600 bucks on it, thats what birthday is for :spook:

Reaction score
You could always get a wacom graph tablet as it has photoshop elements with it which is a basic version of photoshop. You can do most anything with it apart from work in CMYK colours or work with actions. As a stand alone program it costs about 100 euros (with the tablet the same price-not sure if it's the same version). So a lot more reachable than the price that photoshop sells at.

P

pj5000

hey dtravis7, that worked like a charm! thanks. i was having problems with my powerbook; an older model with panther originally; upgraded to Tiger using retail dvd. but when i looked at my installers/xcode tools/packages....most of these, especially the developertools.pkg, devsdk.pkg and xcodetools.pkg were for OS 10.3.
Question....Can I delete these? as i'm never going back to Panther....
Also, i installed X11sdk.pkg and it worked....i think....i wonder why that worked...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
yeah i tried gimp and i just checked in utilities its not there...

and yes photoshop is for birthdays.

Reaction score
Indiana; there's more than just corn here
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
The X11 install is on one of the Tiger DVDs I believe, or you can download it from apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.