Ipad or Imac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 MBP 15"
I have two teenage girls who need a desktop computer. However, I am wondering if an ipad 4 would be better for each of them instead of 1 Imac. They use an Ipad 2 for school now, and seem like they can do whatever they need to do on it. I would get the 21.5" if I were to go with the Imac to to budget issues. I think they would use the Ipads more but the Imac would be more suited as a "powerhouse" so someone lead me in which direction to go before the new Imacs come out..lol

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, an iPad is not a substitute for a computer whether it be a notebook or a desktop. MacWorld Magazine some months ago experimented with using an iPad for work they normally would do either on their iMacs or MacBook Pro machines. While they were able to do most things, there were some tasks that just did not lend themselves for accomplishing on an iPad.

I guess it comes down to what your daughters would be using the iPads for? School work perhaps? Social networking? Email? and so forth. An iPad can do all of that but it would be easier on an iMac. But then I guess there's the problem of one iMac shared between two teen aged girls. :)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
One iMac one iPad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.