Drive Genius 3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Retina MBP 2015
On sale today - $29 instead of $99

Reasonable internet reviews; however, what does the Gold Std - this site - have to say?

Thanks,

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
On sale where? LINK?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have used Drive Genius a few times since version 2 was released. I got version 3 recently as part of a bundle of other software. The program seems to work as well as similar disk utilities I have used. I find myself using these utilities less often as Apple's Disk Utility has improved.

I'm not sure I'd pay full price for it but it is probably worth $29. That's not a knock against the program I just don't need its features often.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I haven't used DriveGenius, but OWC seems to promote it heavily. I typically trust their opinion.

That said, I have seen many people I trust heartily endorse DiskWarrior.

For me, Disk Utility has always done the trick - I haven't had a need for either product in the 6 years I've been using Macs. If you have an SSD in your Mac, chances are you won't ever need one at all.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Drive Genius has a few more features than Disk Warrior. DW is limited to repairing and rebuilding directories. It does that well and will sometimes repair damage that no other utility can repair. It's kind of an expensive "one trick pony" though.

Drive Genius has routines that test/modify a variety of functions.

Please don't take my comments as negative. I have used both programs from time to time and each does a pretty good job. I have not needed to use Drive Genius in several months and it has been at least a couple of years since I needed to use DW.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.