Macbook Pro Super Slow, Maintenance?

Reaction score
I've had my Macbook Pro for about 2 years now and it has pretty much screeched to a halt. Super slow for every application. Is there some sort of maintenance I am supposed to be doing? With my PCs I've always done the Disk Cleanup but does that even exist on a Mac? Please help. I'm about to throw this $2000 piece of junk in the trash.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Many things can effect the speed on your MBP. Hard drive being too full or perhaps failing, not enough memory, types of programs you're running and so on. The first thing I would do is download the free OnyX maintenance and cleanup program and run it in auto mode to see if that speeds things up somewhat. Please do not use any other cleaning program as most are worthless. Here is the download LINK for OnyX.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Beta version is safe to use. I routinely use their Beta versions as they are usually very stable.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks well it said to do the MacKeeper first so I did that and supposedly there were all these critical issues which they fixed some of before asking for my credit card number, so that was the end of that.

You apparently ignored what I advised you:

Please do not use any other cleaning program as most are worthless.

As Harry stated in his reply, get rid of MacKeeper.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Thanks well it said to do the MacKeeper first so I did that and supposedly there were all these critical issues which they fixed some of before asking for my credit card number, so that was the end of that.

I did download one of the older versions of the OnyX because the first one wouldn't take because I have 10.6.8 (wow I didn't realize I was so out of date) and there were these options on the top of the screen, "verify" and "clean" and I did the verify thing which looks to be the same program that is on the Mac itself in Disk Utility. I did this last night and there were all these disk permission errors which I supposedly fixed but they are still there for the OnyX one as well? And then after the big long list comes up, the "execute" button is still there so I clicked it again and the same big list comes up so I'm wondering 1) why is it saying it's fixed but it's not and, 2) What is a disk permission error anyway?

So once I finished with that I clicked "clean" and that supposedly cleaned out everything at least that makes me feel better when I do that anyway.

Thanks, guess I am not too savvy on these things.

OP
Z
Reaction score
You apparently ignored what I advised you:

Nope, didn't ignore you. When you click on the Onyx link it had in big letters "clean your mac before you download OnyX." Did not realize it was a third-party application. They're sneaky like that :Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2011 2.4GHZ 4GB Ram 500GB HD
What version do you download if you have mountain lion

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.