Upgrade Macbook Pro Mid 2010 hard drive to SSD

jdm

Reaction score
I have a 15 inch mid 2010 mbp with the specs of 2.4 i5 core, 8 gb ram. I want to upgrade my hard drive to a ssd drive. I don't know much about ssd drive so I would appreciate some help with this matter. I have found two that I thought migh work. Here are the links to the two drives.

Amazon.com: Crucial 256 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT256M4SSD2: Electronics

Amazon.com: OCZ Technology 256GB Vertex 4 Series SATA 6.0 GB/s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive (SSD) With Industry's Highest 120K IOPS And 5-Year Warranty - VTX4-25SAT3-256G: Computers & Accessories

Any help would be appreciated.

jdm

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Both will work OK. You might also consider using a "data doubler" kit from Other World Computing. The kit consists of a SSD and special bracket to replace your optical drive. You then have the choice of installing the SSD in place of the optical drive giving you two drives. The optical drive is then placed in a carrier and used as an external drive. LINK OWC also sells some very good quality SSD drives.

Reaction score
Both will work OK. You might also consider using a "data doubler" kit from Other World Computing. The kit consists of a SSD and special bracket to replace your optical drive. You then have the choice of installing the SSD in place of the optical drive giving you two drives. The optical drive is then placed in a carrier and used as an external drive. LINK OWC also sells some very good quality SSD drives.

Thanks for the input!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
+1 to CHSCAG comments, that is exactly what I did with my mid 2010 15" MBP. The 512 GB Drive was $297, the enclosure for your old drive to use as a portable was $25. Saw an immediate 3X speed increase vs the existing 500 GB 7200 RPM factory HDD the machine shipped with.

OWC was my source, they know exactly what works with which machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.