Web dev on an iBook is a headache

N

nfs2

Hey everyone. Im new to the site, and to macs. I just got an iBook for chrismas and have been wholly impressed with almost everything about it.

Just a few problems though....

Im a web developer, so i've been looking for a good ftp program to work on my websites. I bougt a program called "fetch" which seemed good. When i use ftp on my websites, i normally open the file on the spot (as a temp file), edit the file, then save changes and upload it back to the server. Fetch doesnt seem able to do this.

When i open a file using tex edit plus (the only text editor that seems compatable with fetch) the text is all garbled (because its in UXIX encoding) so im forced to go "tools > quick cleanup > UNIX to Mac" every time i open a file! Then when im done editing the file, i am not presented with the option of uploading back to the server, rather, i am forced to save it to my hard drive then re-upload manually. Thats not cool when editing countless files.

So i figure I should use a Virtual PC. Unfortuantly even though my iBook is the brand new 1.33ghz model, its not strong enough to run XP in a Virtual PC (at least not at a useable speed). When in XP, i right click on "my comuter" then select properties and it shows less then 300mhz clock speed.

So if any of you mac users/web developers could help me out by either recommending a good ftp/text editor combo, or some tips on improving VPC performance, id really appreciate it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
ok, i went to my website and i went to view source. from there you can save the file as whatever you want. then use text edit to edit it, and the fetch to load it up. i dont know if this is what you where looking for. i personally use SubEthaEdit for coding.

Reaction score
You could try 'Rbrowser' for ftp uploads as it's free for the program without extra options ( i think with the extra options you can edit and save files on the spot like you wanted to do with Fetch) and 'Transmit' is also really good but you'll have to buy it and im not sure about the editing options (it's a free 30 day full function trial).

You can download both of them from www.macupdate.com and try them out.

OP
N

nfs2

Hi and thanks for the suggestions.

I just got transmit and its totally perfect! It does exactly what i want, and actually does it slightly better then im used to in windows. I use it with a free text editor called textwrangler.

Reaction score
Yes, it is a nice program and has always worked so far. I've had a few problems with Rbrower not wanting to connect and then downloaded the trial version of Transmit and that worked fine. I'm going to buy it myself soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah Transmit rocks, I use it with SubEthaedit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.