wi connect from imac to pc

Reaction score
I have an iMac which is running mountain lion and have set it up to share the internet which is connect to the imac by ethernet. My son has an older pc and is unable to pick up the wi fi signal from my iMac. He has an iphone and it connects right away. The signal strength from the iMac wi fi is 100. appreciate any suggestions.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Does the older PC even have a wifi card in it?
Historically, it would be pretty rare that any off-the-shelf PC had a wifi card in it from about 3 years ago and older.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Further to bobtomay's post - I would actually recommend against doing WiFi sharing from the iMac for several reasons.

WiFi sharing is really intended to be a stopgap measure for impromptu connections. It's not particularly secure, and range is drastically limited.

For $30 at any WalMart, you can pick up a wireless router that is vastly superior in terms of security, range and speed. You also won't be wasting system resources on routing, which is what you're asking your iMac to do.

If your son's PC doesn't have a WiFi adapter, you can pick up a USB wireless adapter for about $20 that will make this much more simple to setup. In short, what you're attempting to do is needlessly complicated for very little net benefit, and in fact, could create a significant security problem.

C

chas_m

Also, the Mac will have to be on -- not sleeping -- at all times during the sharing. As you can see, it's meant to be temporary.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.