Apple TV - Terrible sound bass/treble

Reaction score
Hi there,

The play back of sound through Apple TV and my Bose speakers is absolutely awful. I'm streaming music from my computer where it sounds fine (partly because I've configured the settings) but those settings do not beam over when played through the Apple TV.

Deafening bass, crap treble, what the heck can I do about this? It's rendering the whole thing pointless as it completely ruins the sound.

Thanks guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I use AirPlay from my iPad/iPhone/iTunes to my AppleTV connected to my Sony amp via optical without issue so I know it all works ok in principal.

Could do with knowing what "partly because I've configured the settings" means.

So you sending audio from iTunes via AirPlay to the AppleTV that's connected to your Bose Speakers?
How is the AppleTV connected to the speakers?
If you connect the speakers directly to your computer in the same way does it sound ok?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I use the same setup as mrplow with the exception of an Integra as my AVR and I get a perfect match between the song in lossless versus the CD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
I'm with mrplow and OSXX. I have my Apple TV connected to my Sony preamp's optical input and get excellent sound through my stereo. No configurations settings needed. What kind of speakers do you have connected to your computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
Steve, are your powering the Bose speakers with the TV's output?

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks for this. It has put me on to something.

Our Apple TV box is currently connected to our Sony TV with a HDMI cable. There is no optical cable port to run a cable from my Apple TV box to the TV.

From the Sony TV (KDL 40V200), I use the red and white jacks to run sound to the Bose speaker system. There is no optical cable port of the Bose speakers either.

Am I right in thinking that we have sub-optimal sound because the ports are just too dated by today's technology standards? Is it time to replace the TV or Bose speakers?

Any way to bypass this?

Thanks guys,

Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
The optical output will give you the best sound up to 16bit perfect but was really meant to be connected to an AVR and as far as I know no TV has an optical in but the newer ones have an Audio Return Channel on at least one of their HDMI ports.
I would invest in an AVR which has several benefits such as room correction, bass management, several HDMI connections and decoding of the latest audio codecs besides being 3D ready if that matters to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi all,
In my experience Bose set-ups do not sit well with any kind of 'separate' system build. It's as Bose intended, and if you go that route then you are committed in most respects to the brand and indeed it's connectors.

Way to go is as 'mi learned' colleagues have already mentioned, digital AVR set to 'Auto' with HDMI pass through and a speaker set up of your choice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.