Syncing itunes to iPod when downloading on 2 macs

Reaction score
This may have a simple answer, or a complicated answer...

OK...so I have an imac and I recently acquired a macbook. I plan on using both. I have all of my itunes music files saved on the iMac, but I also have it on an external hard drive. Currently I have itunes locate my files on the mac when I play on iTunes. I also use the imac to sync my ipod when I download new music (not directly through iTunes). After having acquired the new macbook (and a new router), I figured I would now hook up the external hard drive to the new router and then set itunes on the imac to play files from there, and then use the shared libraries feature to play that music and those playlists on the macbook when I use it. I assume that would make sense.

So the imac is my main library with playlists etc and then the macbook would open that library as a shared library. Now, if, while having the shared library open I use the MACBOOK to download music while I am watching tv (not downloaded directly through iTunes), and I save the files to the external hard drive, am I able to add those new songs (while using the macbook) to the shared library from my IMAC? If so, can I then sync my ipod on the imac so that it will have the new songs (downloaded on the macbook) in the playlists that I want?

Basically, the issue is I want to keep the imac as my main music computer. I also want to be able to download music on the MACBOOK, have the songs added to my overall itunes music library (and playlists that I choose), and then be able to listen to them in those same playlists on either computer...and then also be able to use the IMAC to sync my ipod as usual, but with all of the songs I downloaded on the macbook in the playlists I want. I hope this makes sense. Is that possible??? Thanks in advance

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.