Master password

Reaction score
We have a very old I Mac the one with the base that looks like half a basketball( we have I pads and new Mac books but this one is soon to be a antique but can't get in without the master password might need to bring it in to a tech ant advice would be appreciated thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What kind of master password? If it's the admin password that has been forgotten or lost, it can be reset with a boot disk. I have no idea what version of Mac OS is on that machine (OS 9, OS 8?). Perhaps someone else who is more familiar with old Macs can offer a better suggestion.

C

chas_m

He's referring to the iMac G4, so it's very unlikely to be running OS 9. Probably just an early version of OS X, and your advice on how to reset the password was correct.

OP
W
Reaction score
He's referring to the iMac G4, so it's very unlikely to be running OS 9. Probably just an early version of OS X, and your advice on how to reset the password was correct.

Thanks problem now is I can't get the tray to open
Any ideas

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If your iMac G4 has a tray operated disk drive rather than a slot drive, there should be a small hole at the base of the drive. But inserting a straightened paper clip into the hole, you should be able to release the mechanism that opens the tray.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.