• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Why You Can't Compare Apple and Microsoft (Long Read)

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kamikaze

By: Jamar Jones

When comparing these two there are some key differences between Microsoft and Apple that many people tend to leave out that make all the difference.

First off, Microsoft's approach is much more friendly to the consumer because we have a choice when it comes to customizing our PCs as compared to Apples. For instance, I can build a PC with an AMD or Intel Processor but with an Apple I don't have a choice it's either Intel or nothing. So making an operating system that is capable of working on a variety of different hardware configurations is not an easy feat because technology is always expanding and there is always going to be something new on store shelves. Now some of this hardware could be created poorly or contain poorly written drivers that'll reak havoc on your computer. Apple does not have these issues, but why? It's because they choose to build the machines themselves and they tailor the OS to use those resources in the most efficent manner possible. Using that strategy is brilliant but it takes all the choices away from the consumer and so you're stuck with a beautifully crafted machine that's reliable but for what price? With Apple having such a vice grip on the hardware, competition is pretty much non-existant. So the consumer cannot look for a low-cost solution based on the Apple platform because there isn't any. Now this explains why Apple only has about 2% of the market while Microsoft has a whopping 95% (Give or take 2 percent.)

Now Microsoft is not only faced with making an operating system that has to work efficiently on a variety of different hardware configurations but they also are creating their products for a much larger userbase (Which is where the major problems come from.) You have hackers all over the world trying to create malware 24 hours a day/7 days a week so expecting Microsoft to catch every little bug and virus before they have time to infect your computer is very unreasonable. Yeah, I understand that it may be frustrating when your computer gets infected but that is not Microsoft's issue. That's like blaming Toyota for not having bulletproof windows in your car if you just so happened to get shot while driving. Of course, it's there job to provide you with a product that is safe to operate but you can't blame them for the actions of malicious individuals in society. Remember, Windows Update is a service provided to us by Microsoft to keep us happy they are in no way, shape, or form obligated to provide us with it.

Now, I would definately recommend a Mac to anyone that needs a PC for professional purposes but not because they are better machines, that is simply not the case. I would recommend an Apple to a professional becasuse the userbase is much smaller so you don't have to worry about malicious code infecting it as much as you do with Windows Based PCs. Ontop of that you don't have to worry about companies creating buggy hardware that can also cause problems like those found on a Windows based PC. Now to wrap this up, they both have their pros and cons but to compare Apple to Microsoft is ludicrous and I would advise anyone to do their research before they start rambling about which is better. If the situation happened to be reversed and Apple was the market leader they would definately be in the same boat as Microsoft.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Kamikaze said:
.....So the consumer cannot look for a low-cost solution based on the Apple platform because there isn't any.
........sooooooo, I guess the Mini doesn't really exist then.....

Ontop of that you don't have to worry about companies creating buggy hardware that can also cause problems like those found on a Windows based PC.
umm....quite a bit of the same hardware manufacturers make hardware for Macs and Windows

If the situation happened to be reversed and Apple was the market leader they would definately be in the same boat as Microsoft.
Not really, unless you consider the same boat to mean that there would be more software applications and games and software suites, etc. developed for the Mac instead of Windows.

...they both have their pros and cons but to compare Apple to Microsoft is ludicrous and I would advise anyone to do their research before they start rambling about which is better.

I heartily agree. EVERYONE should do their research before they start rambling.

:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The original article fails to mention one extremely important fact in regards to Viruses for the PC. Certainly the viruses are created en-mass for the Windows platform, but why. He points oput that Apple has less than 2% of the market, security through obscurity as it is called, which may be partly true, but why do the folks who write viruses write them? Many of the write them because they dislike Microsoft, their software, their until recent blatant lack of security and their general disregard for the average consumer. They also often do because of their dislike of the lemming effect that Windows has created among the generally idiotic public. In other words, they do it to point out the stupidity of how the system works to the masses, but too many people are dumb enough to live with it.

If enough of them get angry at Apple or Mac users, we will have the plague visited upon us. Fortunately for us, most still see Apple as the small niche player who, along with Linux and Unix, are trying to fight the beast from Redmond. The enemy of my enemy is my friend, and they leave us alone.

How long will it last?

OP
K

Kamikaze

D3v1L80Y said:
........sooooooo, I guess the Mini doesn't really exist then.....

It's not as powerful so obviously it's going to be cheaper. With a PC they are able to offer top of the line products at cheaper prices due to competition with the Apple Mini this is not the case. It's inexpensive because it's not as powerful not because of competition.

Not really, unless you consider the same boat to mean that there would be more software applications and games and software suites, etc. developed for the Mac instead of Windows.

The same boat means in the "exact same position" as Microsoft. Which means wider userbase and more applications. Apple doesn't have as many people looking for the next piece of code to exploit in their OS like Windows because they are not mainstream and most people outside of the US never heard of them.

I heartily agree. EVERYONE should do their research before they start rambling.

I agree.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kamikaze said:
OS like Windows because they are not mainstream and most people outside of the US never heard of them.

Uh...wrong....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm, I know any number of Mac users (many here in these forums) who hail from the UK, Germany, Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia etc.

Saying that Apple is unknown outside the US is silly. They are an international company with sales and customers all over the world.

And while we are at it, prove yourself right....

Any particular reason that you are posting in bold type?

OP
K

Kamikaze

baggss said:
Hmmm, I know any number of Mac users (many here in these forums) who hail from the UK, Germany, Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia etc.

Saying that Apple is unknown outside the US is silly. They are an international company with sales and customers all over the world.

And while we are at it, prove yourself right....

Any particular reason that you are posting in bold type?

I don't remember saying that nobody outside of the US has ever owned a mac but I do remember saying "most" people outside of the US don't know what a mac is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I've never heard of this "Apple" thing.... what exactly is a "Mac"?....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kamikaze said:
I don't remember saying that nobody outside of the US has ever owned a mac but I do remember saying "most" people outside of the US don't know what a mac is.

Using your logic, and Apples US market share, one could say that most people inside the US don't know what a Mac is either.

Either way you making a false assumption with nothing to back it up with.

Now are we just going to argue or are you going to offer up some proof for your statement. Either one is fine with me.

OP
K

Kamikaze

baggss said:
Using your logic, and Apples US market share, one could say that most people inside the US don't know what a Mac is either.

Either way you making a false assumption with nothing to back it up with.

Now are we just going to argue or are you going to offer up some proof for your statement. Either one is fine with me.

Published: October 17, 2005, 2:09 PM PDT
"Apple has a 2.3 percent market share worldwide. " - CNET

http://news.com.com/PC+shipments+leap+past+expectations/2100-1003_3-5897839.html

Apple has only 2.3% of the global PC marketplace...so if you can't somehow come to the conclusion that most people in the world don't know what a Mac is by that figure then you're in denial.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
HELLOOO!?!?!?!??!??!?!! okay.. just stayed out until now... but people around the world know about Macs. Percentages dont tell anything!!! they just say that Macs have a smaller market share, not 'people dont know what a mac is' crap. Besides, the market share has been growing steadily. Also, what about something more current than that last years article? The market can change rapidly.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To me you are here just to make a war with the Mac community here. I will not be a part of it. It's against Forum rules anyway. Others here have given you good answers. I could say more, but to me it's not worth it. I have many Top of the Line Windows systems as well as Macs. I know what gets the job done for me the most reliably, so I could care about Marketshare or any other numbers. Have a good day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Exactly. Marketshare has to do mainly with how many people purchase Macs. Just because not as many people buy them, does not mean that they do not even know they exist, it just means they don't go out and buy them. I know about BMW's, but I would never buy one. I know about iPod Nanos, but I would never buy one. I even know about sugar-free, caffeine-free and calorie-free cola, but I wouldn't buy any....does that mean that these things don't exist???
Well, that is all for me... I just ran out of troll food and I don't feel like getting out my flame retardant gear, so I am done here
:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kamikaze said:
Published: October 17, 2005, 2:09 PM PDT
"Apple has a 2.3 percent market share worldwide. " - CNET

http://news.com.com/PC+shipments+leap+past+expectations/2100-1003_3-5897839.html

Apple has only 2.3% of the global PC marketplace...so if you can't somehow come to the conclusion that most people in the world don't know what a Mac is by that figure then you're in denial.

Saying that they have low market share doesn't mean that people don't know about them. Your being disingenuous here.

Like I said before, based on your logic one can assume that no one inside the US has ever heard of Apple either.

Got any more "proof" or are you going to continue to make yourself look foolish?

OP
Z

zap2

Kamikaze said:

You have no idea what ur talking about, check this site and macrumors.com and u will see tons of non-US mac user

OP
E

Ex_PC_Puke

Let me flip the question around - if Microsoft didn't have an army of PC vendors churning out boxes and cutting each others throats over prices ..... there would not be a market the size of XP now - and keep in mind that the PCs sold by DELL - HP - Etc are subsidized by loading them full of AOL and crap software that you don't want and that pops up annoying messages - plus you have to pay $40 - $50 a year (for top knotch protection on viruses + Spyware) - and that same software is continualy sucking CPU cycles from your processor.

As I work on clients PCs ---- I continue to be amazed at how fragile XP is

OP
K

Kamikaze

Yeah I admit that might not be the best way to put it but they are relative. If more people knew about macs more people would buy them bottomline. THis isn't a mac bashing thread cuz I love the platform....this thread is about how you can't compare the two but certain individuals decided to take offense and derailed the thread.

dtravis7 said:
To me you are here just to make a war with the Mac community here. I will not be a part of it. It's against Forum rules anyway. Others here have given you good answers. I could say more, but to me it's not worth it. I have many Top of the Line Windows systems as well as Macs. I know what gets the job done for me the most reliably, so I could care about Marketshare or any other numbers. Have a good day.

It's obvious that you have not read the article above so please keep your opinion to yourself until you have done otherwise.

Ex_PC_Puke said:
Let me flip the question around - if Microsoft didn't have an army of PC vendors churning out boxes and cutting each others throats over prices ..... there would not be a market the size of XP now - and keep in mind that the PCs sold by DELL - HP - Etc are subsidized by loading them full of AOL and crap software that you don't want and that pops up annoying messages - plus you have to pay $40 - $50 a year (for top knotch protection on viruses + Spyware) - and that same software is continualy sucking CPU cycles from your processor.

As I work on clients PCs ---- I continue to be amazed at how fragile XP is

There's no question in this post so tell me what are you trying to ask? Also to address one of your points, Microsoft has vendors creating machines because there is money to be made by offering systems on the Windows platform. Windows' dominance came before all the 3rd party hardware companies not before do not get it twisted. Apple would have 3rd party companies going crazy trying to make machines for their OS too but since they are also a hardware company that would be a conflict of interest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Who cares?

It's a computer.

It does work, so that we don't have to.

This conversation has been played out.

OP
K

Kamikaze

surfwax95 said:
Who cares?

It's a computer.

It does work, so that we don't have to.

This conversation has been played out.

Read the thread before you post....this is not a mac vs. pc discussion it's about how different they are and why you can't compare them. The problem is that certain individuals like to take things out of context for the sake of turning this into a Mac vs PC thread when it obviously isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.