price for second hand imac

Reaction score
Hi,
I have an opportunity to purchase an iMac off my company ( one I have been working on since May last year). they quoted me £1000. Do you think it is reasonable, or would I be better off investing in a brand new one? This one is 12GB and works great with memory intensive software I use for graphic design- I would be then looking to have at least 12Gb in the new one. Below the specs. I would much appreciate any advice. Also what do you think of the graphics card? Anything else I should pay attention to?
These are the specs:
iMac
Model Identifier: iMac11,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.93 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 12 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s

ATI Radeon HD 5750:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5750
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x68a1
Revision ID: 0x0000

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi,
I have an opportunity to purchase an iMac off my company ( one I have been working on since May last year). they quoted me £1000. Do you think it is reasonable, or would I be better off investing in a brand new one?

Prices for used computers can vary quite a bit...just like prices of used cars. The best you can do to get an idea of what this computer is worth is...go to:

- e-Bay...and see what similarly configured iMac's are selling for.
- Mac2Sell.com...to get a general idea of it's value.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi Nick,
Yes, I checked on ebay, but the iMacs there are either 21in, others less, or more memory, different processors, different graphics card. Still no idea what to think. I hope someone here can have a look at the specs and determine whether the deal is good or not. More importantly, would I be better off buying a brand new one. Although I have had absolutely no problems with this machine at work it has been exploited for a year and a half at least. Not sure what lifespan of iMacs is.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Nick,
Yes, I checked on ebay, but the iMacs there are either 21in, others less, or more memory, different processors, different graphics card.

Sometimes the EXACT configuration is not always available on e-Bay. In this case...you either have to keep looking (day after day) until something does show up...or find an iMac that is on e-Bay and very close to the specs of the computer you're interested in...and extrapolate from there.

Also...did you check Mac2Sell.com as suggested above??;)

More importantly, would I be better off buying a brand new one.

Like just about anything...whether it be an automobile, refrigerator, computer, furniture, lawnmower, etc. etc....buying new is almost always better.

In regards to computers...you will be getting the latest & greatest Apple has to offer in terms of technology with a brand new computer. But like with anything you buy that's brand new...the new item is going to cost more than a used item. Which I'm guessing is why this thread was started...trying to save some money!:)

In this particular case...you're talking about buying a used work computer that you have personally used for the past 1.5 years. So you know a HECK of a lot more about this computer (how it's been used & cared for...or not)...then you would if you were buying a used computer from some random person.

If you've been using this computer for 1.5 years...and you have your doubts about it...then don't buy it!:) And if you have a phobia against used computers in general;)...then definitely buy a new computer!:)

HTH,

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi Nick,
Thank you for all the imput! Yes, of course, the idea is to potentially save money ( rather than buy a brand new at more than twice the cost potentially). Unfortunatelly, I don't have much time to browse around as being made redundant, finishing my current employment next week and the company has just now got back to us with the offer for us to potentially buy the hardware off them at a reduced price ( it was our request to check if it was possible). I need to decide by Wed/Thurs next week basically if I want to take the offer up.
I would be more comfortable, admitedly, buying this second hand one rather than something off ebay. As you say, I know it worked for me just fine though it is a bit worrying that a couple of my collegues had issues with the same batch of iMacs purchased for us.... I actually have a PC at home with a fab SpectraView 2490 monitor which is excellent for colour proofing, considering moving to Mac at home as it will be handy to use wiyth the Adobe Publishing Suite to make apps for tablets- that only works on mac OS. Unless I can install Mac OS on a PC (perhaps a naive question but I know people run Windows on Apple hardware)? I could get far better specs upgrading my PC to 32GB memory and a fast processor at a fraction of the price. Then again if this deal is 'good' then perhaps worth considering, which is what I am doing now :)
So, I am not your typical Mac fan club customer, in fact a lot of what the company does annoys me ( hate itunes and general lack fo flexibility) and I think products are overpriced on the whole. Then again imac 27in is quite pretty haha, and 12Gb memory quite good to work with for my needs, colours are not bad either on the monitor. I wonder what the lifespan of iMacs is, any idea? They are still cheaper than Mac pro, why? Also what do you think of the graphics card on the machine in question? Also, can I buy warranty for this off Apple, what are they like with servicing etc if I don't?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Unfortunately Apple have no refurbished iMacs in the UK at present, Here is one from Apple US to give you some idea. Personally do not think the deal is that great when you consider how much the company has written off tax with depreciation.

And May last year means no AppleCare is available after the twelve month warranty.

Refurbished iMac - Apple Store (U.S.)

OP
K
Reaction score
good point Harry about the company writing off tax, hmmm perhaps I should haggle to get the price down ( I was going to anyway but not sure how willing they are to part with the hardware), perhaps they will be willing to negotiate after all. If they offered it for say £800 I think I would have taken it as is, no questions asked. The link to the imac in US suggest the price is not too bad actually considering that the graphic card is less powerful and only 4GB memory and everything is Us dollars is pretty much 1 to 1 for pounds in the UK prices...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unless I can install Mac OS on a PC (perhaps a naive question but I know people run Windows on Apple hardware)?

We do not discuss this topic at Mac-Forums!

Unfortunatelly, I don't have much time to browse around as being made redundant, finishing my current employment next week and the company has just now got back to us with the offer for us to potentially buy the hardware off them at a reduced price ( it was our request to check if it was possible). I need to decide by Wed/Thurs next week basically if I want to take the offer up.

One of the BEST (and quickest) resources for used Macintosh price information is Mac2Sell.com. I've suggested this 2 TIMES already...and this will be time #3!!! CHECK MAC2SELL.com!!!

I wonder what the lifespan of iMacs is, any idea?

There are actually two "angles" to this question...so it sort of depends on what you mean by "lifespan".

1. One way is...how long do they "physically" last. Meaning before something in them "dies/breaks".
2. Another way...is what is the average "useful" life before they are too old/obsolete.

They are still cheaper than Mac pro, why?

Have you done any research of your own before asking this question?? I think that if you compared the specs of a Mac Pro and an iMac side by side...you would have a better idea of the differences.

It's not that iMac's are so much less computer...it's that Mac Pro's are so much more. And Mac Pro's are Apple's top-end computer. And when you want top-end performance...you pay a top-end price!!!

Also what do you think of the graphics card on the machine in question?

Have you done any research on this computer to know how old it is...and how many "generations" of iMac have been released since this iMac was new??

With just about every release of newer iMac's...Apple incorporates faster graphics hardware. This computer was released in "Mid-2010"...so it's about 2.0-2.5 years old...and Apple has released 3 generations of iMac since this computer. So the graphics in this computer are 4 generations old. I'm not saying that the graphics in this computer "STINK"...but they certainly are not cutting edge.

As a graphics professional...I would think that you would want the best graphics hardware that you can afford...so this is an important buying point to consider.

Also, can I buy warranty for this off Apple, what are they like with servicing etc if I don't?

If the original 12 month Applecare warranty has expired...then no.

LAST TIME. CHECK MAC2SELL.com to get a "ballpark" value for this computer. I could have done this for you LONGGGG AGO...but I like to HELP people out by pointing then into the right direction...NOT do everything for them!!!;)

Good luck,:)

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
I have checked Mac2Sell.com but not helpful as you can't see all the specs. Unless I don't know how to view the specs on that website, it is not clear.
I do mean how long physically they do last, as someone who has used PCs for ages I can tell you they DO last years and years and are easily upgradeable. iMac would be not easiiy upgradeable, if at all actually, and I have concerns about durability since a couple of colleagues with the same batch had problems.
The graphics card question is valid- faster does not always mean better, I would much appreciate a response from someone who just does not buy into 'Apple best' marketing. I had my PC custom built. At the time- 4-5 years ago it was top of the specs with 6MB memory Apple users could dream of ( unless paying good money to get that) and at the time AMD graphis card was considered better for my use rather than Nvidia Apple integrates into the system nowadays. Maybe Nvidia is better now? I do not have a clue. All I know Apple is not neceserrily better, you pay a premium for a 'design' but the components may be worse than what you can have customised for your use.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have checked Mac2Sell.com but not helpful as you can't see all the specs. Unless I don't know how to view the specs on that website, it is not clear.

If you checked Mac2Sell.com already...you should have said that in previous posts...so we know. If you don't tell us...we don't know!;)

Everything you need to get a value estimate is on Mac2Sell.com (screen size, HD size, amount of ram, cpu, etc.). Once these specs for these fields are inputted...everything else is the same on the particular model in question.

I do mean how long physically they do last, as someone who has used PCs for ages I can tell you they DO last years and years and are easily upgradeable.

Just like any computer...random failures can occur. Ram, hard drives, optical drives, etc. I and others happen to still have old Macintosh computers from the 1980s that are still working...but then other folks have failures on a computer they bought 6 months ago.

For me...the #1 thing with iMac's is keeping them clean inside (dirt, fuzz, etc.)...so that cooling air can work as well as possible.

iMac would be not easiiy upgradeable, if at all actually, and I have concerns about durability since a couple of colleagues with the same batch had problems.

Maybe some colleagues have had some problems...but then many many other folks have not had problems. We all probably know folks who have had a problem with almost any product. This doesn't mean that they are all bad.

...as someone who has used PCs for ages I can tell you they DO last years and years and are easily upgradeable.

...I would much appreciate a response from someone who just does not buy into 'Apple best' marketing. I had my PC custom built. At the time- 4-5 years ago it was top of the specs with 6MB memory Apple users could dream of ( unless paying good money to get that) and at the time AMD graphis card was considered better for my use rather than Nvidia Apple integrates into the system nowadays.

All I know Apple is not neceserrily better, you pay a premium for a 'design' but the components may be worse than what you can have customised for your use.

If you feel that you would be better off with a Windows computer...then purchase a new/better Windows computer...or continue using the Windows computer that you already own. We are certainly not here to convince every person to switch to a Macintosh computer...if it is not the computer for them.:)

If you're considering buying a Macintosh computer...you must be doing it for a reason. If you want/need a Macintosh computer...then you have to purchase a Macintosh computer!:)

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
yes, I need a Mac for a reason, that featur of Adobe that only works on Mac OS... I will do a bit more research over the weekend re prices, perhaps just phone Apple direct and ask them.
Question of them becoming obsolete- is there a possibility that in say 2 years time this model won't run certain software or new operating system?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
... I will do a bit more research over the weekend re prices, perhaps just phone Apple direct and ask them.

You're more than welcome to try this...but Apple doesn't deal with anything used...nor do they know anything about used computer prices/values.

e-Bay and Mac2Sell are really your best options.

Question of them becoming obsolete- is there a possibility that in say 2 years time this model won't run certain software or new operating system?

What you're asking for here is a "crystal ball" type of answer. If I and others could predict the future (Apple is very unpredictable)...we would all be millionaires!;)

It sounds to me that you have way too many concerns about this iMac you have the opportunity to purchase from your place of employment. Seems to me you would just be better off buying a new or refurbished iMac from Apple.

Purchasing used computers has it's "Pros and Cons". It sounds like you want all the "Pros" of buying a used computer (lower price than a new computer)...but don't want any of the "Cons".;)

Good luck,:)

- Nick

C

chas_m

I can tell you that I wouldn't pay $1,600 (approximate US equivalent) for ANY two-year-plus old Mac, personally.

For that money I could get a BRAND SPANKING NEW 21.5" iMac and have money left over.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.