Looking for the right cover for me??!!??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 2.1Ghz 512 MB ram
I am planning on buying an Ipad 4 for our family for Christmas. I know that for sure I want a case for it, but I am torn between what exactly I need. I have an iPhone and love my Otterbox Commuter case for it. Unfortunately that exact model of case does not exist for the iPad 4. Because of that case, I originally looked at the Defender case by Otterbox for our new iPad because I thought that I needed that protection. On the other hand, I have also looked at the Apple iPad Smart Cover. I know that these are at two opposite ends of the spectrum, but I really am not 100% what I need. For the most part it will be only my wife and I that use the iPad, but we do have a 2 month old that a year from now might be wanting to play with it. It will only be used in our home, not out and about. I like the protection that the Defender offers, but I'm not sure I like the bulk that it adds and I'm not 100% sure that I like the fact that it has a rigid screen protector. Does that affect the display quality at all? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would love to hear what you people think we should get.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Certainly complicates things when you have to share your devices. Even more so when you have young ones.

There is the Griffin Survivor. It uses military grade standards. It's around the same price range as the Otterbox Defender actually slightly cheaper.

C

chas_m

Not being a parent, I wouldn't let a child anywhere NEAR expensive, difficult-to-replace equipment without a VERY strong protective case. So **if** you're going to let a toddler play with your iPad, I'd suggest an Otterbox or Griffin Survivor as suggested above.

I would think that a better idea would be to not use the iPad around the child until they get to the point where you want to get an iPad mini (in a similarly child-proof but perhaps more child-friendly encasing, as seen below) for the child to use.

Something like this: iPad Cases & Covers | Speck Products

i-guy-ipad-case.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.