Power Book or G5

A

ashwin21

Hello,

I am a windows user who has for a long time envied apple users who actually talk and bond over their computers. Furthermore - they always talk about the cool software that is such a pleasure to use.

I am taking the plunge and deciding between a Powerbook 15 inch, 17 inch or G5 with 23 inch screen. I would like to get a Power Book 15inch - but the whole reason I am switching is to give myself an enjoyable environment that will motivate me to use Photoshop and other crative software that has always been sucky on a PC. SO then do I buy a 17 inch - or if I am spending that much already just go for a G5 with a 23 inch screen.

Or will a 15 inch be enough for my hearts desire to experience everything that mac has to offer??

FInally do I need a super drive? or is a comdo drive enough

OP
H

hokiethang

ashwin21 said:
Hello,

I am a windows user who has for a long time envied apple users who actually talk and bond over their computers. Furthermore - they always talk about the cool software that is such a pleasure to use.

I am taking the plunge and deciding between a Powerbook 15 inch, 17 inch or G5 with 23 inch screen. I would like to get a Power Book 15inch - but the whole reason I am switching is to give myself an enjoyable environment that will motivate me to use Photoshop and other crative software that has always been sucky on a PC. SO then do I buy a 17 inch - or if I am spending that much already just go for a G5 with a 23 inch screen.

Or will a 15 inch be enough for my hearts desire to experience everything that mac has to offer??

FInally do I need a super drive? or is a comdo drive enough

It depends on the amount of mobility you will need. my 15 inch goes everywhere I do (for the most part). If you are going to be doing most of your work at home or in one place, then the G5 is probably the best option. I personally think the 17 inch laptop is too big to be portable, but thats just my view. Photoshop works great on my powerbook, and its an older version. Just to warn you, Photoshop will look cluttered on the 15 inch, but exposé makes it a lot easier to work with than in windows. All of the machines should be more than powerful enough to do what you want, it comes down to what you want to do with it. As for the super/combo drive question, if you decide to get a laptop, and remotely ever plan on burning DVDs, I would get it built in. If you end up with a Powermac, then you can get a combo drive to save on cost, and I believe you can upgrade to a superdrive at a later date if you end up needing to burn DVDs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive
OP
S

StealthMode

What he said... :D
I have a 15in PB myself as well. It was my first Mac, hopefully the first of many.
PS works great on it, and i can do most anything on it, but the best part is I can take it anywhere.

Stealth -

OP
W

wiggin1605

If G5 wait

If you plan on staying in one place an your wanting to get a G5 I would wait till summer when the G5 is sopose to be up to 3Ghz in stead of just 2Ghz and all G5 power macs come with the super drive you cant down grade it that i know of. If you going to get a power book I would definatly go for the 15in the 17 to me is just to o heavy it weighs almost 7 lbs an the screen on the 12 is just too small for PS altho you can always attach another screen for when your not out roaming. Hey an get that back lit key board if you get the pb that thing is sweeet!

OP
D

danparker

I have a 17" Powerbook. Love the machine but am fed up with Apple. The 17 PB and all PB require alot of maintenance and the only real benefit is the portability. I wouls suggest a G5 personally. If I had it to do over again now, I would get a G5. The PB is awesome but it's too easy to mess up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.