Streak on screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, MacOS Ventura, iPod Touch, iPhone 6s Plus, MacBook Air 2020
I have a MacBookPro with OS 10.8.2. For the first time, this evening when I boot the laptop, there appears on the display, after the initial Apple image but before the sign in screen, a "streak" of pixelated (?) color across the screen. I have posted a photo of it at Untitled Document. The streak appears only then, on the screen between the initial Apple image and the log on screen, and when I log on, everything functions normally. It started to appear after I tried to log onto HBO Go while the Mac was connected to my TV. I have done it successfully numerous times (after getting instructions from this forum, for which thanks again). I say "tried" because this evening I was unable to log on to HBO Go. The Error message I got is "Fatal Error: Failed to load service error definitions". Later, I tried logging onto HBO Go on a desktop with Windows 7 (not connected to the television), and that did not work either. HBO Go simply did not open. I don't know if the HBO Go event created the streak, but the streak did appear after trying to log on to HBO Go. I will much appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try resetting the PRAM on your notebook. Hopefully it's a temporary glitch created from having your MBP connected to the TV. See the following Apple KB article: LINK

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, MacOS Ventura, iPod Touch, iPhone 6s Plus, MacBook Air 2020
YOU FIXED IT!!! I followed your link, and the instructions there, and the streak has disappeared.

Please excuse my shouting, but I was really afraid I had permanently damaged the display.

Thank you for your help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're welcome. Sometimes the machine will retain "glitches" in its memory. Resetting the PRAM clears that out. Have fun. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.