Wireless Speaker Systems ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac air,iPad mini,ipods
Wondering if anyone had some experience with Wireless speaker systems ? Am looking online at B&W or B&O systems for a small library room if I decide to separate my home theater and listening area. Any thoughts on either manufacturer or has anyone heard these systems? Are they worth the $$$

Many Thanks

Bob J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Wow - both companies are quite expensive. I've shopped at B&O and they sound good in the store. I am no audiophile though - so I had a hard time paying their premiums. That being said - I do have a Bose Sounddock portable which I like. It is an older one that isn't wireless - but I did hook up an Airport express to it. It works through a 30 pin dock as well - so I can wire in iPhones and iPads as well - or just go through the audio cable. The newer ones have Bluetooth available.

Another set of choices which I found useful are the Bluetooth speakers like the Jawbone Jambox. I have one of these for travel. You can use them as a speaker phone as well. There are several in this range - like the beats pill - I just went with a company I knew in Jawbone.

Anyway if you have the money I would recommend taking your own high quality music to a b&o and b&w store and listen for yourself.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac air,iPad mini,ipods
Those companies are pricey but if it is something I can live with for a number of years it may be worth it. Trouble is that I live in western Maine and cannot find a dealer near me so a purchase would be a gamble of sorts. The science looks to work though.

Bob J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'd suggest considering SONOS too. The range is scalable, integrates well into the Mac/iOS ecosystem and sounds fantastic.
Personally I find Bose overpriced and inflexible but that's just my experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
Given a choice between B&W and B&O, go with B&W. Bowers and Wilkins know how to build accurate, smooth speakers. Bang and Olufsen know how to design cool looking products. I am an audiophile, and B&W makes some of the best speakers on the planet. I saw them in coffee shops all around Denmark last June. Seeing as how B&O is Danish that tells me something: Danish coffee shop owners prefer B&W. ;)

I have no experience with SONOS but have heard nothing but good things about their products. As for Bose, stay far away. Bose's expertise is marketing, not building accurate speakers.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac air,iPad mini,ipods
Thanks for the info and thoughts. I have heard everything good about B&W. The only thing I know about B&O is that they provide the upscale sonics in MB and Audi's. Part of the decision may be based on wether I can additionally plug in my iPod directly into the system as unfortunately where I live Sat internet is the only high speed available. Sometimes it is very slow. Have not noticed any problems listening to Pandora etc through my iPhone 5 and earbuds but internet radio through iTunes sometimes cuts out. Its great hearing from someone who has personally listened to the B&W. Have a bi-amped system pushing Vandersteins and its time to get a smaller footprint but would like to keep the sound quality.

Best

Bob J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
The best speakers I've ever heard are the B&W Nautilus, but they wouldn't exactly be downsizing from your Vandersteens. :Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
The Sonos line is quite good, sonically speaking. What I like about their system is that aside from sounding good, you can have satellites in each room of the house and control them from an iPod/iPhone/iPad etc.. Air Play negates the compression of Bluetooth so will transmit with better bitrates. I suggest you check out their website for more info. But I think this goes for all the one's I'm looking at for myself..

I'm actually going to be in the market, and am looking at the Sonos line, Klipsch G-17 Air and the B&W stuff as well. Kind of leaning towards the Klipsch, but who knows. As for bose... yech. I agree with LC. They hire fake scientists to sign fake patents in order to make their crappy designs seem legit. Cheap paper cones and cheap plastic housing with no effort and a high price range, makes people with too much money feel as important as they think they are. That's pretty much what Bose is good for IMHO.

Doug

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Cheap paper cones and cheap plastic housing with no effort and a high price range, makes people with too much money feel as important as they think they are. That's pretty much what Bose is good for IMHO.

I can back up what Doug says above about Bose. I have a pair of Bose series VI speakers with stands and graphic equalizer. These are the large floor stand Bose model speakers - top of their line at the time.

Anyway, after several years of use the sound began to develop "fuzziness" and distortion. No longer under warranty, I took them apart. Much to my surprise I found the cheap paper cones referred to by Doug. They literally had fallen apart. I called Bose and they told me they would be happy to replace them for $650 plus shipping. No thanks to that. A Bose repair shop in Dallas offered to re-cone them for around $400. Again no thanks. Lesson learned: Stay away from anything Bose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I can back up what Doug says above about Bose. I have a pair of Bose series VI speakers with stands and graphic equalizer. These are the large floor stand Bose model speakers - top of their line at the time.

Anyway, after several years of use the sound began to develop "fuzziness" and distortion. No longer under warranty, I took them apart. Much to my surprise I found the cheap paper cones referred to by Doug. They literally had fallen apart. I called Bose and they told me they would be happy to replace them for $650 plus shipping. No thanks to that. A Bose repair shop in Dallas offered to re-cone them for around $400. Again no thanks. Lesson learned: Stay away from anything Bose.

Bose used to make fairly decent speakers in their 301 range, at least housing wise. Better consumer grade speakers use something at least like rice paper, or treated/coated paper for better density and protection against normal changes in barometric pressure and moisture etc.. Those things will eventually lead to the degradation of the cones etc.. Too bad Bose wouldn't stand by their product and replace those cheap cones for free.. Wanting to charge $600 is the equivalent of being robbed blind. Problem is, most of the Bose demographic will have no problems paying that kind of money and won't even care why they are.

Doug

Reaction score
I have the Sonos Play5 and love it. For its size, the sound is incredible. With the ability to expand from room to room, I think a Sonos system would be an excellent choice.You might want to checkout J&R Audio as they have a special deal at this time.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac air,iPad mini,ipods
Thanks and will check it out.

Bob J

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.