Missing Storage Space?

Reaction score
Short version:
I looked through everything that I could find on my hard drive and could only locate 152 gb out of the 263 gb of storage that it claims that I'm using. Where could the rest be?

Long version:
I'm looking to buy a new laptop soon and need to know what size hard drive to get, so I looked on Disk Utility and saw that I'm using 263 out of 318 gb, much more than I was expecting, considering all I use this computer for is internet, word/powerpoint, iTunes, and composing music with Guitar Pro. I clicked on "about this mac" and discovered that I have 110 gb of music, apps, photos, etc, which is understandable as I have a lot of music, but it also said 152 gb are taken up by "other", whatever that means. I checked the finder for what could be contained in "other", but I only found 1 gb in my documents folder, 50 gb in downloads, 1 gig in pictures, and all of my other folders were pretty much empty. So with all of that combined, I've only accounted for 162 gb out of the 263 that it says I'm using, as I know Mountain Lion can't be taking up 100 gb (right?). So what's taking up the rest of my storage? I'm using a mid-2010 MacBook Pro if that helps any.

Thank you in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Try using Disk Inventory to figure out what is using up the space

Disk Inventory X

OP
A
Reaction score
Ah, it turns out that I had an old VM that I forgot to delete from the trash. Thank you!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.