Having problems with fonts in word

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Notebook
Hello
I am a newbie here and have just bought Mac Office University version.
I had a free trial version of Mac Office for a couple of weeks before I bought my own Uni version and I was able to see the typfaces of the all fonts on the toolbar list. But since I got my own copy...all these have gone 'plain text' and cannot see how they look...unless I click and change...is this normal? Can I flick or click something so that I can see the typefaces? Please help :[

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not sure I'm following you? What toolbar list in Word had all the fonts displayed so that you could see them? You can view all the typefaces on your machine by opening your "Font Book.app" from the Applications folder. MS Office installs a separate folder of fonts in addition to what is already included with OS X and that will show up in the Font Book application.

C

chas_m

I think he means that when he was using Word before, the font list would appear styled visually, like AppleWorks and Pages do. The new install of Word evidently doesn't have that preference ticked, and I can't help because I don't have Office.

M

MacInWin

He double posted, but the solution is to open Word, open a document, then on the top bar choose Word, Preferences, General and tick the box for "WYSIWYG font and style menus." I'm not double posting, so this is the only thread in which I'll say that.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm still at a loss here to what he's referring to. I have "Preferences, General, WYSIWYG font and style menus" checked off. The only font menu that appears is when you choose "Font" from Word's main menu at the top. The font menu(s) are then cascaded by family. Perhaps that's what he means?

M

MacInWin

@chscag, what the OP wants is to have the font list in Word show not just the name of the font, but the name of the font IN the font. If WYSIWYG is not checked, the names are there, but all in Arial. So the OP wants to see a sample of the font in the font list. DTH?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, thanks. I couldn't picture what he was after by his wording. What you stated makes sense. :)

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Notebook
He double posted, but the solution is to open Word, open a document, then on the top bar choose Word, Preferences, General and tick the box for "WYSIWYG font and style menus." I'm not double posting, so this is the only thread in which I'll say that.
Thank you very much, this option is already ticked and it still doesn't work. I have a new apple air, and new Word for uni software...and I now have to use Font book application to see the style of the fonts...it beats all logic! Thanks again

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Notebook
@chscag, what the OP wants is to have the font list in Word show not just the name of the font, but the name of the font IN the font. If WYSIWYG is not checked, the names are there, but all in Arial. So the OP wants to see a sample of the font in the font list. DTH?
Yes please. And despite ticking everything...nothing is working. Sad...

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Notebook
OK, thanks. I couldn't picture what he was after by his wording. What you stated makes sense. :)
Thank you for your help. I went to Microsoft and they helped install the whole software, update it and clear the computer of previous glitches here and there...now it all works. Appreciated your help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, great. Glad you got it working. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.