Migrate windows to mac book

Reaction score
Hi,

I have bought a new Mac book Pro MD104B/A

Previously had a windows 7 laptop. I wish to migrate window 7 and all the installed programs from my old laptop to my mac book. I tried using VMware but not sure how to do it and what steps should I take to make this.

Please help.

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Did you read the instructions for VMWare? LINK
Page 10 discusses using an existing Windows 7 computer to migrate over to your Mac. There's a note on there that may have something to do with your situation:
NOTE You must have a valid Windows product key. It is on the sticker attached to the packaging for the Windows operating system CD-ROM.
The product key is not provided by VMware. Windows CDs included with a previous physical computer might be locked to that machine and might not work.

OP
M
Reaction score
Did you read the instructions for VMWare? LINK
Page 10 discusses using an existing Windows 7 computer to migrate over to your Mac. There's a note on there that may have something to do with your situation:

Hi Thanks for your reply and for the link.

I have a Dell laptop and only has the recovery disks that I burned when purchased.

Can these be used for my situation or I need a pure windows cd?

Thanks again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi Thanks for your reply and for the link.

I have a Dell laptop and only has the recovery disks that I burned when purchased.

Can these be used for my situation or I need a pure windows cd?

Thanks again.

You will need a full install copy of Windows 7 and of course a valid product key in order to use it with the Boot Camp assistant or VMWare. A Dell recovery CD or any other Windows recovery CD will not work. (Your new MBP can only run Windows 7 using Boot Camp, but other versions of Windows will work with VMWare.)

OP
M
Reaction score
You will need a full install copy of Windows 7 and of course a valid product key in order to use it with the Boot Camp assistant or VMWare. A Dell recovery CD or any other Windows recovery CD will not work. (Your new MBP can only run Windows 7 using Boot Camp, but other versions of Windows will work with VMWare.)

Hi

Thanks for your suggestions ok then I will try that way.

Back again when ready.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Retina MBP 2015
As an aside, glad I decided when I made the move a month ago to say goodbye to the PC world in its entirety. No more .exe for me! If there isn't a Mac version then I am forcing myself to find an alternative. They are out there; there is nothing wrong with different.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.