How to control internet speed on Mac Mini WiFi access point?

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Could you help me with the next question:

How to control internet speed on Mac Mini WiFi access point?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums

I'm not sure I follow.

WiFi access points come in different varieties, 802.11 A, B, G and N. Each of those are rated for different speeds when communicating with devices. The Internet speed is entirely dependent on your Internet connection speed from your ISP.

Your overall Internet speed is a combination of your Internet speed, the WiFi type you have and what types of devices your using. Also using mixed devices on a network will have an adverse effect on the overall network performance..

Please provide more information about what it is you are trying to figure out..

OP
O
Reaction score
I'm trying to find out how to set maximum internet speed for users who will use my access point (e.g. I don't want to give possibility to use more than 256Kb/s for one user or at least to limit speed of WiFi access point to 1Mb/s (this speed can be divided for all users))

Thank you in advance

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
This would be done at the router - research QoS.

If your router does not support QoS, you might be able to install DD-WRT firmware if you have one of the routers they support.

If they are connecting to your Mac via internet connection sharing rather than the router, you might check to see if something like Throttled Pro might do what you want.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.