fix or replace display on iMac

Reaction score
I have a G5 duo core intel with Tiger operating system. Yesterday my screen started to have a vertical white line through all applications. I ran tech tool and everything passed
but the line was there on every color for the display scan.
Several questions:
1. Is this the beginning of the end for the whole system?
2. Are the newer iMacs compatible with my software? --this one was supposed to support classic but didn't because of the processor. I see there are quads now and don't want to replace everything. Is a complete revamp of my current computer the only solution?
3. What are the odds replacing the display will give me years of use? How many? Some one else posted and several folks wrote their similar systems were still going strong as was the fellow who queried. Mine obviously isn't.
4. I partitioned my disc for OS9 but since this didn't allow usage of old software I dumped all I could of it. Will removing the partition open more storage or is that a flexible item? I keep getting messages that my startup disc is full.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a G5 duo core intel...

No you don't. It's either a "G5 iMac" or an "Intel iMac"...it cannot be both".;)

1. Is this the beginning of the end for the whole system?

Maybe not for the whole system...but more of those lines may develop. I've seen iMac's of this type with 6-8 of those lines on the display.

2. Are the newer iMacs compatible with my software?

Hard to say...you didn't tell us what OS version you're running...or what software you have (and what versions).

But if you haven't done any software upgrading in a while...and if you're talking about brand new iMac's...there is a strong possibility that your current software will not be compatible with new iMac's...and the newest version of the Mac OS.

3. What are the odds replacing the display will give me years of use?

It's probably not worth it. The cost of a replacement display panel (especially if you need a professional to replace it)...will probably cost more than the computer is worth.

4. I partitioned my disc for OS9 but since this didn't allow usage of old software I dumped all I could of it. Will removing the partition open more storage or is that a flexible item? I keep getting messages that my startup disc is full.

Sounds like your HD has two partitions. One for OS 9...and one for OS X. These two partitions are independent of each other...so no matter what you do with that OS 9 partition it will have no effect on the OS X partition. You could reformat the hard drive...and make it a single partition...but this would require you to reinstall the OS, all your applications, and all your files.

If your OS X partition is full or almost full...you need to delete the unused items...or back them up onto some sort of external device...then delete them from the iMac's internal HD.

Regarding a solution for the display. You can certainly continue using the computer with that single line on the display. You could also plug an external monitor into the iMac...and use that monitor as your "main" display.

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
confused by first answer

No you don't. It's either a "G5 iMac" or an "Intel iMac"...it cannot be both".;)

Maybe not for the whole system...but more of those lines may develop. I've seen iMac's of this type with 6-8 of those lines on the display.

Hard to say...you didn't tell us what OS version you're running...or what software you have (and what versions).

But if you haven't done any software upgrading in a while...and if you're talking about brand new iMac's...there is a strong possibility that your current software will not be compatible with new iMac's...and the newest version of the Mac OS.

It's probably not worth it. The cost of a replacement display panel (especially if you need a professional to replace it)...will probably cost more than the computer is worth.

Sounds like your HD has two partitions. One for OS 9...and one for OS X. These two partitions are independent of each other...so no matter what you do with that OS 9 partition it will have no effect on the OS X partition. You could reformat the hard drive...and make it a single partition...but this would require you to reinstall the OS, all your applications, and all your files.

If your OS X partition is full or almost full...you need to delete the unused items...or back them up onto some sort of external device...then delete them from the iMac's internal HD.

Regarding a solution for the display. You can certainly continue using the computer with that single line on the display. You could also plug an external monitor into the iMac...and use that monitor as your "main" display.

- Nick

Hi Nick:
Thank you for answering me. I just don't get why you say I can't have duo core and intel. Here's why:

When I hit "about this mac" a screen comes up that very clearly states
Processor 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to these things so I thought what I gave for info was the same as that.
I tried to send the screen but this isn't aol so no go.
Pixipixil

OP
P
Reaction score
You must realize I'm a ditz by now. I see it can't be a G5 and Intel. Sorry. I tried to find out if I had a G5 and looked it up on Wikipedia. They went thru a whole mess of different iMacs and i guess I got them confused.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You must realize I'm a ditz by now. I see it can't be a G5 and Intel. Sorry. I tried to find out if I had a G5 and looked it up on Wikipedia. They went thru a whole mess of different iMacs and i guess I got them confused.

Ha ha...you beat me to it...enough said!;)

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
****You need to back up your drive before the following****

You could restore the space for OS 9 back into your primary partition.

Boot to your original Tiger disc. Once booted up to it, (haven't done this in awhile), on the menu bar open Utilities - Disk Utility.

Then you can go to the partitions tab - delete the partition your created for OS 9, then grab the bottom of the OS X partition and drag it down to take the entire drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.