Linksys WIFI Router Setup?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 867 Mhz 768 MB Ram
So I have a Linksys router....and I need to continue having a "hard" connection for my G4....but I want to use the WIFI for a PC laptop that I have. I can't even get the G4 to connect properly when running it through the WIFI router though....and I also can't get onto Linksys internal website at all either.....what am I doing wrong?? :eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
Try resetting the router - pen in the back. Linksys stuff, like most, does occasionally just throw its toys out of the pram and lock you out.

Has the router EVER worked for the G4 wirelessly? Make sure you have the latest router firmware etc... Make sure the WEP codes are the same on all the gear... Try reconfiguring the router from scratch if you've not already done so... Then repost with fuller details of what does and does not work, and the model number of the router.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 867 Mhz 768 MB Ram
Has the router EVER worked for the G4 wirelessly? Make sure you have the latest router firmware etc... Make sure the WEP codes are the same on all the gear... Try reconfiguring the router from scratch if you've not already done so... Then repost with fuller details of what does and does not work, and the model number of the router.[/QUOTE]

Model is: BEFW11S4 and it was being used w/ a different ISP and different setup before. I have yet to get it to work w/ the mac. However I'm not using the G4 wirelessly....still need a hard connection for that, but it needs to go through the router....and I can't even get this to work.

Do I need to change a lot of stuff in preferences?? I keep going into network setting and i've tried:

Not connecting using PPOE...which then defaults to using DCHP which I think is what I want?? But it still wont work. I'm getting all the correct lights on the routher so I know the actual connection is good...do I need to change firewall settings maybe...I just talked to the IT support at Linksys and he was pretty useless...:):):)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
huffstar said:
Has the router EVER worked for the G4 wirelessly? Make sure you have the latest router firmware etc... Make sure the WEP codes are the same on all the gear... Try reconfiguring the router from scratch if you've not already done so... Then repost with fuller details of what does and does not work, and the model number of the router.

Model is: BEFW11S4 and it was being used w/ a different ISP and different setup before. I have yet to get it to work w/ the mac. However I'm not using the G4 wirelessly....still need a hard connection for that, but it needs to go through the router....and I can't even get this to work.

Do I need to change a lot of stuff in preferences?? I keep going into network setting and i've tried:

Not connecting using PPOE...which then defaults to using DCHP which I think is what I want?? But it still wont work. I'm getting all the correct lights on the routher so I know the actual connection is good...do I need to change firewall settings maybe...I just talked to the IT support at Linksys and he was pretty useless...:):):)

If the Linksys was being used before I recoomend you RESET the router using a pen and pressing the reset button on the back of the router.

Next, connect the laptop to the router using an ethernet cable. Ensure you are connected to the LAN (under network settings). Type in 192.168.1.1 to enter the routers configuration screen. Set the router up for your ISP, then check to see if you can connect to the internet. Once you can connect to the internet when wired, then move to connecting wirelessly.

When connecting wirelessly make sure you remember your SSID, and any WEP settings you entered when you were wired.

Also, don't forget to change your admin password on the router. It is "admin" by default.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.