Problem restoring from Time Machine

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new to the forum and relatively new to Macs in general...

I'm trying to replace the 250gb HDD on my mid 2010 MB pro with a 750gb Seagate Momentus Hybrid... My old drive is full but still functioning (thankfully). Installing the drive went smoothly enough, but I ran into issues when restoring from my Time Machine back-up.

I booted to the OS DVD and followed the prompts for restoring from Time Machine... everything looked like it was working until the screen went dark for a sec then came back with a grey screen saying the restore was unsuccesfull and I needed to reboot. Upon rebooting, I would get an empty blue screen and it would just sit there...

Things I've tried so far:
-Fresh OS install then restoring old data. The OS install worked fine but crashed when I tried restoring
-Running Disk Utilities on the Time Machine drive and on the new drive. Everything check out OK
-Installed original drive and made a fresh Time Machine backup, then tried restoring to the new drive... Resulted in blue screen again

Any suggestions you guys have would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'd suggest your Time Machine backup disk is faulty or the read/write controller is failing. Is it just a regular external hard disk or an Apple Time Capsule?

If it's a standard external what make and type?

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Its a Seagate 500gb. Im not sure of the model... I will have to check when I get home

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.