What RAM to use on Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.26 13" (MC207LL/A)?

Reaction score
I have been looking into upgrading the RAM on my Macbook. Apple states that it is only able to support up to 4 GB, while other third parties have confirmed that they are running 8 GB with no problems. Yesterday I purchased the Corsair 8GB CM3X8GSDKIT1066 Kit (Corsair CM3X8GSDKIT1066 8GB 2X4GB PC3-8500 DDR3-1066 SODIMM Memory Kit) and when I put the Ram in it beeped three times, paused and then repeated until I turned it off. What exaclty does this mean? I looked at the corsair website and found the same kit but made specifically for Apple (Corsair Apple 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1066MHZ C7 204PIN SODIMM Memory Kit Apple iMac Macbook and Macbook Pro), and am curious if this was the problem - that it wasn't apple specific RAM?

I am currently running Mac OS X (10.6.8), if this is any factor.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You purchased the correct memory for your machine, and yes, it can take up to 8 GB. (2 x 4 GB modules) According to Mactracker you have a late 2009 MacBook 2.26 GHz.

The three beeps you heard are memory errors. Either the memory is bad or is not seated correctly. Try inserting the modules one at a time and boot after each insertion.

OP
C
Reaction score
I already tried inserting the RAM separately, and in different combinations. All with the same end result, 3 beeps, until I put the original RAM back in, in which the computer started up again.

I am assuming it is bad memory, but I don't want to spend more money on new RAM if it is not going to work. Can anyone verify that this will work?

Corsair Mac Memory

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I've had the best luck with OWC and Crucial memory for my Macs..as member ChrisMan287 said, you should probably return the memory to Corsair and go with OWC or Crucial. OWC actually tests the memory that they ship, so it's known to work. Not sure what Corsairs policy on testing is but being much larger they may only test a few in a batch or something..

OP
C
Reaction score
I bought it from a local store and did return it. However, they have a 15% restocking fee for every product, so I just want to make sure that I am using the correct one so I don't continue to lose money.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I understand..that's one of the reasons that we recommend places like OWC specifically, who store parts JUST for the Mac. So when it comes to purchasing memory, you just choose brand and size and they ensure that the options are only what will work with your Mac..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.