Does anyone use SIRI everyday?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro '15' i7 Quad Core, iPhone 5, iPod (U2), time capsule (2tb), apple tv.
Hi All,

I was excited to get my hands on my Iphone 5, I upgraded from the original 4 and was keen to use the new features one of which was SIRI.

After using the phone for a little while I have found that day to day I never use her at all, often I forget she's even a function on the phone and I am a litle dissapointed she has not made more of an impact.

Maybe someone here can give me some hints or tips that will raise her profile with me.

What is it that you use SIRI everyday for?.

Thanks

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Weather, reminders, setting alarm, playing music, launching applications.

OP
mockney
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro '15' i7 Quad Core, iPhone 5, iPod (U2), time capsule (2tb), apple tv.
Weather, reminders, setting alarm, playing music, launching applications.

Hmmm. ok but let me say this:-

Playing music - I like to browse, so no direct command. Plus all the other points you mention its so easy to launch apps or look at the weather set an alarm using the screen. I doubt it saves much time actually asking SIRI to do those things for me.

No, I cant see myself using SIRI for that.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
SIRI is good for finding something while you're driving - or even if you don't want to type something long into Google Maps. I use it primarily for that - and not every day. She's very useful for finding locations, restaurants - things like that. She's also useful for setting reminders - and voice dialing. That's about all I user her for on a regular basis. Once in a while to play a song. She get's most of her use when I'm driving.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
SIRI is good for finding something while you're driving - or even if you don't want to type something long into Google Maps. I use it primarily for that - and not every day. She's very useful for finding locations, restaurants - things like that. She's also useful for setting reminders - and voice dialing. That's about all I user her for on a regular basis. Once in a while to play a song. She get's most of her use when I'm driving.

Yep only use her when I can't use my hands. Especially driving since it's illegal in California. Yet I still see people with phones up to their ears while they are driving. >_>"

C

chas_m

I often (but not every day) use Siri to ask about restaurants where I am, and make reservations. I ask about movies playing locally a lot. I set reminders and "text while driving" using Siri A LOT, since there is NO WAY I can text and drive.

Siri is FAR from done, trust me on this. It will take a while, but eventually you (everyone) will use voice assistants like Siri a lot more than you do now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
As everyone has stated when driving yes sometimes if I am busy doing something else that I don't have time to look up or locate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I've only had my iPhone 5 about a month and didn't have Siri before that on my iPhone 4. So I forget sometimes that I can use it for various tasks, etc. I did just last night to set a reminder. Super easy and worked great. As mentioned, Siri is not a finished product yet and I'm sure we'll all find it a lot more useful in the future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I have Siri on my iPad - and I do try to use it - it is good for sending quick texts, launching applications, looking up games. For example - if I want to see what time a football game is on - I have to open either a web browser or sports app and navigate to the proper place. With Siri - I just ask one question - What time is the Broncos game? Siri will have that up faster than me navigating.

Have you tried setting a reminder? It should be much faster to set it via Siri than using the calendar app.

Also - I have been trying the dictation - instead of typing. Although it isn't perfect - it is usually much faster to fix the dictation errors - than to type on the iPad.

One thing I wished it had - which isn't available right now - is access to more Settings. I asked Siri to turn on Bluetooth - for example - and Siri cannot do that. It would be nice if I could do stuff like that - it would save a lot of screen taps.

I have friends who use it to text and drive (not that I agree with this, but it is better than actually typing while driving)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
use Siri to ask about restaurants where I am, and make reservations.

And how does this work Chas ?? Does the Restaurant you choose have a online booking system, or something digital to that effect at the premises ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
use Siri to ask about restaurants where I am, and make reservations.

And how does this work Chas ?? Does the Restaurant you choose have a online booking system, or something digital to that effect at the premises ??

Siri uses Open Table to make reservations. So... maybe the restaurant has to be available with Open Table? I'm just guessing, but it seems like that's how it probably works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Siri uses Open Table to make reservations. So... maybe the restaurant has to be available with Open Table? I'm just guessing, but it seems like that's how it probably works.

And is this a App from the iTunes Store ?? Very curious is all because Down Under i have a feeling we are missing out on the full potential of Siri. I use her as others have, send text via Bluetooth/Siri, look up scores, weather and so on, but have never heard of Open Table.
I know as the years go by developers will jump on the bandwagon, but you friends over the pond get a lot more with her . . . .. ???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
OpenTable is a website that has an app available. It's a great way to make reservations at restaurants that support OpenTable. I didn't realize Siri supported OpenTable. I'm going to have to try that out. Thanks for the info.

This post has been dictated and read.
Dictated but not read - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

C

chas_m

Yes, Siri takes advantage of the Open Table app on my iPad. Open Table offers a list of restaurants (not every single one, but where I am a very good selection) and available times. Siri has a built-in capability for presenting nearby restaurants and reviews, and so once I decide what restaurant I want, I can just say "Make a reservation for two at eight o'clock" and it leverages the existing Open Table app (if available) to do so.

It is the most like "living in the future" I have gotten to so far. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
No Open Table in the UK either.

But I use SIRI for Cinema times, setting timers when cooking (every day), setting reminders, calendar events, occasional app opening, text messaging. Much more than I thought I would.

Would love it if Spotify could hook into SIRI like the standard music app does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
TY ^^^^^

Just looked in my iTunes Store and there is nothing like Open Table or Open Table for that matter, but i do love the concept. Thanks for the info.

C

chas_m

Sorry, it seems to be for the US and CAN right now. Perhaps there is some equivalent in the UK or AUS?

For more information about what its like, you can go here: Restaurants and Restaurant Reservations | OpenTable

There's a UK equivalent called Restaurants and Restaurant Bookings | toptable but I have no idea if it works with the UK version of Siri.

The Australian version of OpenTable would appear to be Dimmi: Compare Restaurants & Book a Table Instantly @ Dimmi - Compare Restaurants & Book a Table Instantly @ Dimmi but again, I doubt it works with Siri. Someday, perhaps.

Even without the Siri integration, the services mentioned are very handy for making reservations. I used Open Table long before it integrated with Siri.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that Chas.
Seems like TopTable's web site is set up exactly the same as Open Table and more digging i found that TopTable is made by OpenTable so to you mrplow im betting it is integrated with Siri and you can book a table just like Chas can with OpenTable.
Dimmi is a completely different App and has affiliation with Top or OpenTable at all. Here is hopeing the developers stretch there wings and come down under and service us Aussies too.
Thanks again for the info Chas.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.