Question marks on all my icons

Reaction score
Please help me - I have a Mac Pro with OS X (version 10.5.8)

My problems are two fold. First, when I click on any of the icons on my dock, a light grey question mark appears over the icon and won't let me open it. I'm also unable to open any of the folders on my desktop. I'm unable to open system preferences.

When I try to open my applications, I get a message that says "The folder applications could not be opened because you do not have sufficient access privileges." I've been given all the access privileges on the computer so I'm not sure why I'm getting this message.

Thank you for any help you can provide. I greatly appreciate it.

OP
K
Reaction score
I just booted up the computer in Safe Mode and now I don't even see any of the icons at all. All I see are question marks all across my doc. Now what do I do?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you by chance move your home folder or rename it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, that's fine. The symptoms you described can occur when the home folder is moved or renamed. Try this: Create a test account and give it admin privileges. Log off and log on to the new account. Is the same thing happening?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Xserve, iMAC, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPAD 2, Iphone 4s
do disk utility and repair permissions off the install CD and reboot, and see if that helps

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.