Anti Virus

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 21.5 iMac
I know everyone says that you don't need anti virus on a Mac. But is it harmful to install one? I just downloaded Sophos Anti Virus. Is this overkill? :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
One of the many luxuries of owning a Mac you do not need an anti-virus program and most of the time it causes issues that the owner would not normally experience.
If one exists in the wild it would in fact make the news everywhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I know everyone says that you don't need anti virus on a Mac. But is it harmful to install one? I just downloaded Sophos Anti Virus. Is this overkill? :Confused:

Most AV for Mac's will bog your system down and really not needing them, i would advise against them, BUT if you really feel the need have one on your Mac then try the free avast! Free Antivirus for Mac | Security Software for Apple OS X. Sophos I wouldnt worry about and i would unistall it using the uninstaller that came with it.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Another recommendation rather than Avast! is Clam XAV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
I use Avast!. Seems to be integrated rather well. Except for the annoying occasional window where you have to enter your Apple password for Avast! to upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Another thing to note, you'll typically not be getting recommendations from folks that are actually "using" one of this type of software except from others pretty much as new to OS X as you.

The vast majority of long time OS X users do not have one of them on their Macs and most of their experience with them is in helping folks that have issues created by having one of them installed.

For situations where an AV is required (for work, school, etc.) then ClamXav is the one most recommended.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 21.5 iMac
I ended up deleting Sophos. It didn't seem to be working. I ran two scans, which took hours and hours (this is a new computer, not much in the way of files saved on it yet) and then each time if I went back in the app, it said a scan had never been run.

I guess I can try the no anti virus program for awhile. But coming from the Windows world, that's a little scary.

M

MacInWin

CLIP...
I guess I can try the no anti virus program for awhile. But coming from the Windows world, that's a little scary.
Don't be frightened. OSX is NOT Windows, there is not much threat out there. All those Windows viruses cannot get to OSX at all. I have Clam xAV, but don't run it but about once a year, just as a part of general checkups. Never had any malware at all.

Welcome to freedom from fear!

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 21.5 iMac
Thanks MacInWin, if there were a treat out there that we have to worry about, how do we find out about it. Will there be something posted in the forum?

M

MacInWin

Oh, it will be screamed from the rooftops! All the anti-Mac forces will come out to join in the shouts of, "We told you so!!!"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Will be world wide headlines if it ever happens.

If you are really concerned download and use ClamXAV as linked. It is freeware:-

http://www.clamxav.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.