New Intel based iMacs and MacBook

D

Daniel 1989 UK

As announced by Steve Jobs today, the iMac is one of the first Macs to receive the Intel upgrade. Apparently everything Steve demoed at the Keynote was on an Intel based iMac. According to Jobs the Intel based iMac (Intel Duo Core) is 2 - 3 times faster than the current G5 iMac.

"One More Thing" was Intel Powerbook. Jobs said that Apple had done everything they could to shoehorn a G5 chip into a PowerBook, but it was not going to happen. The Powerbook is dead; the replacement is the new MacBook Pro. Dual Core Intel chip, 4 to 5 times faster that the current G4 PowerBook. The MacBook Pro is apparently a tad thinner than the current PowerBook, 15.4-inch screen with built in iSight. Also included is an IR sensor and the plug is held in magnetically. Looks like prices have not changed dramatically, specs given by Jobs were:

5.6lbs. iSight, Front Row; $1999 1.67 Core Duo; 667 DDR bus, x1600; $2499 1.83GHz.

MacBooks will be shipping in February; Apple will start taking orders today via the Web.

Jobs also mentioned that all Apple products would be transitioning to the Intel processor through the end of 2006. While this was somewhat of a give, we now have confirmation of it.

Also announced was Mac OSX 10.4.4.

There also renaming the Powerbooks " MacBooks "

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/frontrow.html

the apple site is now updated too.

Apple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.
Thank you very much for the information lol... But I think its been known for awhile now.

I hope to get an apple sometime this May or June.

OP
D

Daniel 1989 UK

I currently have a Mac Mini its a great machine to get started with Macs for the first time, for something with more power and portability e.g. The Macbook. when I start making money this is the first thing I'm going to save up for. :mac:

Reaction score
When is the best time to buy a Macbook?

Is it a good idea to buy it when it first comes out, or wait some time for Apple to get the "bugs" out, if there are any?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I'd wait for at least one revision before I buy, but that's just me.

OP
B

BoingoBongo

Would it be a good idea to order one now to avoid being stuck on the bottom of a waiting list? I've already waited about 6 months saving up for a new computer, then an extra month to see what happened at MacWorld, and now it'll be one more month until MacBooks are shipped. I'd hate to get stuck on the bottom of a list and have to wait a couple of months after that before my order is shipped. That's almost a year from the time I decided to get a new computer!

I only ask because this will be my first Mac, and I'm unfamiliar with how strong demand usually is for new Apple products (I know it's strong, but I don't know if it's "waiting list" strong).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.