Setting iphone 3gs as external Hd??

Reaction score
I can no longer unlock my phone due to the screen in places not responding. Is there any way that you can connect it to a mac and make it appear an external hd on the machine.
I remember at uni my macbook had major issues so i could connect it to another machine via firewire and restart and hold down t or h and my machine appeared on the other computer so i could access the files and save them.
i just wondered if this was possible to do with an iphone 3gs??
my machine is (very outdated at)-
ibook G4
version 10.4.11
1.42 Ghz ppc

cheers in advance ( failing this il have to either use a mates machine or go to apple store)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I use iExplorer.

A little on the expensive side - You can find other options out there with a little searching.

OP
V
Reaction score
Louishen will my mac support that software? Cheers for the replies, really appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
^^^^ Not by the look of it as it needs OS X 10.6 or higher and you are running OS X 10.4.11

OP
V
Reaction score
Tried downloading the softapedia app but once it downloaded I couldn't actually find it to run! Iv tried looking for similar ones which will run with 10.4.11 but can't find anything!
I phoned apple today to ask if I took in my 3GS (which I can't unlock due to screen not totally working) and my new 5 could they transfer data (numbers, messages) across as my iTunes is to old to do it she replied saying they would need to unlock the 3GS, is that true? As I'd have thought they could plug it in copy back up in there up to date iTunes then transfer it across?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.