uninstall mountain lion

Reaction score
I just installed via download 10.8.2 on my MacBook Pro. Big mistake. I now find out that it is not compatible with powermac software and others. I need to use Filemaker Pro 6 and do not want the hassle of upgrading to a newer version. I'd rather uninstall Mountain Lion and go back to 10.6 OS. How do I do this?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just installed via download 10.8.2 on my MacBook Pro. Big mistake. I now find out that it is not compatible with powermac software and others. I need to use Filemaker Pro 6 and do not want the hassle of upgrading to a newer version. I'd rather uninstall Mountain Lion and go back to 10.6 OS. How do I do this?

In my experience…downgrading the OS is not as easy as upgrading. The installer is setup to install OS "upgrades" (installer looks for an older version on the HD to remove/upgrade from). "Downgrades" are a different matter.

When you want to downgrade the OS…you may need to start from "scratch". In other words…Reinstall (fresh install) Snow Leopard from the install DVD…then reinstall all your apps (such as Filemaker Pro)…then finally reload all your files (after backing the up BEFORE the OS install/downgrade).

Yes…a big pain in the butt. I always remind folks…BEFORE upgrading the OS…always always always…check to see if the currently installed apps are compatible with the newer version of the OS being installed.

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. When reinstalling Snow Leopard…don't forget to install "Rosetta" as well...for those older PPC apps.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi and welcome to the forums.

If you have the SnowLeopard install DVD then insert that in the optical drive and double click on the installer and follow the prompts to install the OS.
I hoped you backed up before you tried to install ML

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'd rather uninstall Mountain Lion and go back to 10.6 OS. How do I do this?

First, make a Time Machine backup of everything. Next, boot with your SL DVD and enter Disk Utility from the top menu Utilities. Highlight the drive on the left and click on the Partition tab on the right. Highlight the recovery partition and press the small minus button at the bottom and click "apply". Drag the partition border from the OS X partition until it fills the drive. Press "apply". Next, erase and format the drive. After that finishes, leave Disk Utility and continue with installing Snow Leopard.

During the Snow Leopard installation you'll be asked if you wish to restore data from another Mac or Time Machine, reply yes and make sure you attach your external Time Machine drive. Time Machine will restore your data. Lots of work but you should be back to where you were before installing ML.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.