itunes library cannot be read

Reaction score
Hi,
I am using Leopard (OS 10.5.8) with itunes version 10.6.3 (the highest version that Leopard will run). I accessed my Leopard itunes library from another mac in my house that was running Mountain Lion and itunes 10.7. I did this so that I could use some itunes scripts that would only run in OS 10.6 or higher. Using the Mountain Lion mac and the scripts I deleted many titles in my Leopard itunes library, and deleted many duplicate files in from my itunes library.
Now, when I try to open itunes on my Leopard machine, I get this message:
The file “iTunes Library” cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes. Of course, I cannot run a more current version of itunes, since I am using Leopard. I realize that I could revert to a backup of my itunes library, but that would undo all of the changes I made to my itunes library. Is there a way to edit something that would allow me to open itunes with my current library?
Thanks for any advice.
-Joe

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is there a way to edit something that would allow me to open itunes with my current library?

No, not without losing all the changes you made. I'm assuming also that you can not upgrade the Leopard machine?

OP
J
Reaction score
Technically, I could upgrade, but I have software that would no longer work under Mountain Lion, so I prefer not to.
I just thought that someone out there might know a way to tweak things to get it to work under iTunes 10.6.3 again (without losing all of the changes I made).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You could just open iTunes while holding the option key and select Create Library, then you could import all your music back into it - that'd at least eliminate restoring a backup with a bunch of stuff you've deleted.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks bobtomay. If I go this route, is there any way to import all of my playlists, or would I have to re-build them?
Thanks,
Joe

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Is your backup bootable??

If so, perhaps booting into the backup, export the playlists - then import them back into your primary drive - how to.

Believe the above was removed from iTunes at some point and don't know in what version.

Otherwise, you'll have to manually recreate them as far as I know.

OP
J
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for your help. I was able to get around it fairly well... here is what I did.
I dragged my 10.7 itunes music folder into a backup of the 10.6.3 itunes folder. Then I opened itunes, directing it to the 10.6.3 folder. Once in there, I deleted all of the playlists, then deleted all of the music listed in the library (but kept the files). Then I added all of the music in the iTunes music folder (which was the music from the 10.7 folder). Last, I imported the "itunes library" file from the 10.7 folder. I think I am good to go.
Thanks for all of your help.
-Joe

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.