My Poor Broken iBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB G4. 15" 512MB RAM & EMac G4 superdrive
Like an idiot, I loaned out my iBook to my younger brother. Yes, he broke it, twice. I fixed one of the breaks, but the other is a little harder. The CD tray will not close. I called my local Apple store and they can fix it in house for $210. The money is not the big issue, I bought the iBook used for $700. It is a G3, maybe a 700Mhz. Is it worth it to fix it? Would it be better just to buy an external cd rom drive? If I do that, if I have to re-install the OS, will the laptop boot to the external drive? I need some guidance please. I am open to an IM chat session if anyone has anyadvice they would like to share. Thanks. :biohazard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
It's probably only worth the money if you want to hang onto that laptop. If your in the market for another/newer one then don't bother. You can hook up an external and it should boot fine, but you then lose true portability.

R

radarbob

baggss said:
It's probably only worth the money if you want to hang onto that laptop. If your in the market for another/newer one then don't bother. You can hook up an external and it should boot fine, but you then lose true portability.
If you think you want to sell it the machine is effectively useless w/out a CD ROM drive.

If you fix the drive and keep the machine for a year or more then I'd say it's worth it.

Personally I never consider resale value/potential in any of my upgrade or purchace desisions. Computers depreciate so fast. Instead I consider how much longer I will be keeping the computer if I fix/upgrade, etc.

Y

yuwing

unless you plan on selling it, then who cares about it. an external will do fine.

another factor depends use of your ibook. do you use the CD rom a lot? I don't. I don't watch DVDs or burn CDs. I got my TV and my desktop for that. my ibook is just for school work and surfing the net.

in fact, since 4-5 months of use, i only used the cd rom 2 times. first time was check for hardware defects with the cd they gave me and second was to upload some word docs from a cd. since i got a wireless router, everything has been going through wirelessly

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.