upgrade OSX on laptop without DVD drive

Reaction score
I have a MacBook laptop with an inoperative DVD drive, which I am trying to upgrade from OS 10.4.11 to Snow Leopard. I have an iMac running 10.6.8 and purchased the Snow Leopard upgrade disc with multiple user license from Apple. The DVD is in the iMac's drive. Per the installation instructions, I first turned on CD/DVD sharing on both computers and connected the laptop to Ethernet. The Install DVD, which is in the iMac DVD drive, shows up on the laptop's Finder.

I attempted to use Remote Install Mac OSX per the installation instructions, however only one drive, the laptop's HD, shows up when I restart the laptop with the Option key held down; The Install DVD does not show up.

I was able to mount the DVD on the laptop, then double clicked the Install DVD icon in the laptop's Finder window. I can hear the iMac's DVD drive running periodically, so it appears to be responding to the laptop. After clicking the Install DVD icon, I'm prompted to click the Restart button to begin the installation process. However, when the laptop restarts, it presents the normal sign-in window with no evidence of an installation process at that point or when I sign in.

Suggestions?

OP
I
Reaction score
In Target Disk mode, I was able to copy the "Install Mac OS," "Optional Installs," and "Instructions" files from the DVD (all that were visible), but when trying to open the "Install Mac OS" file, I got the error message "The application 'Install Mac OS' cannot be used from this volume...please use the application on the Mac OS installation disk."

Next step?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
In Target Disk mode, I was able to copy the "Install Mac OS," "Optional Installs," and "Instructions" files from the DVD (all that were visible), but when trying to open the "Install Mac OS" file, I got the error message "The application 'Install Mac OS' cannot be used from this volume...please use the application on the Mac OS installation disk."

Next step?

You're not supposed to be copying the contents of the Install DVD from one computer to the other…you're supposed to:

- Successfully connect the MacBook to the iMac via Firewire.
- Insert the Install DVD into the computer with the working optical drive (the iMac).
- Launch the installer (from the iMac).
- Select the MacBook as the install destination.
- Proceed with the install.

Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.