Macbook Battery Issue ???

Reaction score
Hi

With regard to battery power on my Macbook 5.1 OS X Leopard 10.5 I'm only getting 10min of battery time when not connected to a power chord. Even though battery status confirms full, the Mac automatically shuts down at 85%. In system preferences battery settings are at computer sleep 20min and display sleep 15min, but this occurs only when the Mac is inactive.

Why isn't the Mac consuming it's full battery time of say 2hrs.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi

With regard to battery power on my Macbook 5.1 OS X Leopard 10.5 I'm only getting 10min off battery time when not connected to a power chord. Even though battery status confirms full, the Mac automatically shuts down at 85%. In system preferences battery settings are at computer sleep 20min and display sleep 15m, but this occurs only when the Mac is inactive.

Why isn't the Mac consuming it's full battery time of say 2hrs.

From the info provided…the simple answer is…the battery is worn out.

The battery being charged to 100% really doesn't mean much…since with a brand new battery a 100% charge may equal 4-5 hours of runtime…but 100% charge on a seriously worn out battery may only get 10 minutes (like you mentioned).

Sounds like you need a new battery.

- Nick

OP
musicmad
Reaction score
Hi Nick.

I purchased the macbook in 2009 and have almost certainly always used it vie the power adapter not battery back up. Given the 5 years running your probably right about a battery replacement. Is it still possible to purchase an internal battery for a 13-inch aluminum 2009 Macbook?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.