How do I delete a user account without losing my saved photos and documents?

Reaction score
I want to delete my user account on my imac and create a new one but I don't want to lose my photos and documents. Is there a way of doing this please?

The reason for doing this is that my external speakers stop working hen I switch accounts from my wife's to mine and have to unplug and reconnect them to get them to work again. My wife does not have the same problem when she switches from my account. I suspect my account must be damaged in some way.

If anyone can help I'd be really grateful. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Firstly have you checked the Sound preferences to see what output port your account is using

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi,

I've checked the sound preferences and they are correct; the problem only occurs when switching from another user to my account for some reason which I can't fathom. If possible I'd like to do something less drastic than deleting my account but as a last resort I'll have to try it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Create a new account for yourself and assign it admin rights. Then, copy your data from the old account to the new one. Log on to the new account, test it with all your apps and for correct sound. If everything seems OK, you can remove the old account. If not, the sound problem is elsewhere and you'll need to continue trouble shooting it.

OP
D
Reaction score
I can create the new account and assign admin rights but I'm not sure how to copy data from the old account to the new one. Should I just copy everything I need to an external hard drive and then drag it back into the new account? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I can create the new account and assign admin rights but I'm not sure how to copy data from the old account to the new one. Should I just copy everything I need to an external hard drive and then drag it back into the new account? Thanks.

We alway recommend having a backup, in any case. Its always a good thing to have as you NEVER no when something amiss will happen.
Use SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner and make a bootable backup or TimeMachine which copys all your files over to the Ext HD but doesnt make it bootable.
Then you can use Migration Assistant to move all your files back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.