Unlocked iPhone 5 ?

Reaction score
So right now I'm in the US but I live in Iceland. I've been looking for the unlocked iPhone 5 but I can't seem to find it. Is there any way that I could buy the iPhone 5 unlocked in the US ? I've heard something about Verizon but I went to their store and asked the about it and they told me that they didn't have it. Any ideas ? (In Iceland it's $1400)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Gday and welcome to the forums.

Not that i know of in the US.

Im pretty sure that they are ALL locked to a contract.

In Australia we have unlocked but the US not so :(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I believe you can buy an unlocked iPhone 5 direct from Apple on line or at one of their stores. I'm not sure of the prices, however.

OP
I
Reaction score
I believe you can buy an unlocked iPhone 5 direct from Apple on line or at one of their stores. I'm not sure of the prices, however.

I asked them and they say that they do not currently have the factory unlocked version... Any ideas ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, sorry. Unless Apple gets them in stock, there's no other way to purchase an iPhone 5 that's unlocked.

C

chas_m

Generally speaking, Apple allows the US carriers to have an "exclusive" on locked phones for a time after the release of a new model. Eventually (shouldn't be long now), Apple will start selling a factory-unlocked model (already available in many other countries, such as Canada).

In Canada, Apple currently sells iPhone 5 units factory unlocked starting at $699 (my preferred 32GB model is $799). Translating that into Krona would equal 101,624kr. (wow!) As you say, buying an unlocked iPhone 5 in Iceland appears to cost around $1,400 (US or Canadian, we're roughly at par).

If you could arrange with someone with a Canadian credit card to buy the iPhone 5 in Canada for you and ship it over, it would work with your carrier(s). But that's an awfully big IF.

Otherwise you'll just have to wait until Apple US opens up for unlocked iPhone 5 sales.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.