Replace startup drive in Mac Pro with SSD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 GHz QC Intel Xeon, 8 GB RAM, 2 x 1TB, 2TB, 100GB; iPad 2 64GB
How do I go about replacing my current 1 TB startup drive in my 2008 Mac Pro with a 120 GB SSD (OWC)?
I know how to do the hardware part of it. On a Mac Pro it is super easy, but how about the software side of it.
My current startup drive is a 1 TB WD SATA and I'm hoping to improve on performance and speed by replacing it with a 120 GB SSD, which I already bought. I want to leave the Home folder on the 1 TB drive and I have another 1 TB drive with some data on it.

I am thinking about doing a clean install of Mountain Lion on the SSD, because I suspect there are lots of remnants and stuff of programs that I'm not using anymore that are impacting the performance of my computer, but I don't want to loose a lot of settings etc. that are currently in my system. So, how do I go about transferring this data to the SSD after ML install?

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have a read over this discussion at the Apple forums and the links in one of the posts for moving your home folder location.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3243930?start=0&tstart=0

And remnants and stuff do not affect the performance of OS X the way they do in that other OS.
There is no registry, none of them launch or run or have any effect on the OS whatsoever.
You might could use some housecleaning (using only Onyx - don't go buying some ripoff Mac cleaning app) and possibly a defrag depending on how much free space and/or how much data you've moved on and off the drive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I want to leave the Home folder on the 1 TB drive and I have another 1 TB drive with some data on it.

What's the point then of installing an SSD if your home folder is going to remain on the 1 TB drive? Follow the link that Staff member bobtomay posted if you really want to replace your startup drive with an SSD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Pop the SSD in bay one and install a nice fresh version of Mountain Lion on it. You can use Migration Assistant and choose what to bring across, including Network etc.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 GHz QC Intel Xeon, 8 GB RAM, 2 x 1TB, 2TB, 100GB; iPad 2 64GB
Thank you all for your help and opinions. I have read some on the Apple forums and will continue to read the rest which is all also very informative.

@chscag: I could only afford the 120GB SSD at this point and my Home Folder is 138 GB, so I think I have to move it to another drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.