• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

BSkyB provides Broadband TV but only VIA WMP10 - Sky Response

T

topshot

Hi, I live in the UK and BSkyB is a big satellite operator here and is in about 10 million homes accross the country. Recently, they have begun providing TV and movie shows over the internet for its users. Infact, it was launched on the same day (I think) as Microsoft announced that they had a partnership with them. Well, suprise suprise, the 'Sky by Broadband' as they call it, only works with Windows Media Player 10 in Windows XP. So I wrote an email to them asking why they didn't go multi-platform using something like Quicktime or RealMedia. This is the Response:

Dear John

Thank you for your email regarding the operating system for Sky by Broadband.

I can confirm that Sky have selected Windows XP as the operating system of choice to launch this new service. Taking into account the features of Sky by broadband, we feel that Windows XP best meets the needs and expectations of our customers, particularly when watching videos on your PC.

I can confirm that there are no firm plans to expand compatibility to other operating system at this time. However, we will always consider customer feedback in our plans to enhance the product in the future.

I am sorry that my response was not more positive and thank you for your interest in Sky by Broadband.

Should you require further assistance, please contact me on the above email address or contact Sky by Broadband customer services on 0870 609 4508.

Kind Regards

Tracy Dorrian
Sky by Broadband

Is their not a way that the customer can force the hand of a business in choosing a delivery platform that is also multi-platform? I mean, this continues to happen constantly in that MS heavy hands everyone to having to use its own products. Why can't the customer fight back for once and demand that businesses act in the best interests of its clients and not of other larger businesses? What is it that MS has offered to them? A discount on media delivery?

Let me know your thougts and if their is anything that we can do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb
Haha this means pc users are gonna be able to stream and download live tv then they can cut out their favourite tv shows and send them or sell them to people, aaah sky what a way to promote piracy...

OP
T

Tigermac

:cool: If you go to http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ there is an interesting little piece on Sky by Broadband. They've evidently had to suspend the service & guess who has caused it. :biohazard
We may miss out on a lot of stuff but I for one will never sucumb to windows. I agree with you that microsoft is forced on us. My sat nav requires windows to up date it, same with my mobile phone. One web site even had the cheek to tell me to upgrade to Windows!! Admittedly I did get an appology when I pointed out that to switch to Windows would be a downgrade. Perhaps we should somehow lobby the government. :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
topshot said:
Actually they won't as it has windows DRM.

And we all know how unbreakable that is... :cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.