songs stop playing on iPod classic

Reaction score
I replaced the HD on my iPod about four weeks ago. Two days ago it would play about 5 or six songs and the stop playing. Pressing the play button restarted it and it would play a dozen or more songs, then stop. Yesterday, after it stopped playing, when I pressed the play button it wouldn't restart but started going through songs in order. It would stay on a song for about five seconds then advance to the next song. It did this for over 150 songs. Twice after rebooting it gave me a restore with iTunes icon, but after sitting idle for some time, I'd have a menu again but still could get more than five songs to play before it stopped again. I open the unit today and verified the ribbon cable was secure in the HD, other connections were fastened, etc. Now when I select a song it plays for maybe 5 seconds then goes of. Ten seconds later I get the Apple screen and then the main menu appears. Smart DATA info:
Retracts:23
Reallocs: 0
Pending Sectors: 0
Power on hours: 299
Start/Stops: 23944
Temp: current 23c
Temp: min 66c
Temp: max 246c
I am at a loss as to what is wrong. Anyone have any ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.