How do I make my mac be able to run games without entering nuclear meltdown?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Potato Battery V2
So, my mac is cannot run any games. When I got a mac I wasn't expecting 1337 g@/\/\1|\|G P0\/\/3r, but I was expecting it to be able to run HL2 games at more than 10 fps -.-

How can I make it run faster? All I've got are games installed and it has the gaming capability of a rotten potato.

Please help :/

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How about:

- some computers specs
- OS version
- telling us what games you're trying too play
- what the computer is or isn't doing

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Potato Battery V2
How about:

- some computers specs
- OS version
- telling us what games you're trying too play
- what the computer is or isn't doing

- Nick

Wow, thanks for the fast reply. I'm new here so forgive me if I make some errors.

Version 10.7.2
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB

I've got 219 GB free on my mac side and I have 318 GB free on my bootcamp side.

Anyway, whatever help you could give me would be great. I'm not looking to spend any money, just some easy fixes as I am giving my computer to a family member since I am upgrading to one that is more gaming-orientated

Also, if you could point me in the direction of where the medium-priced gaming computers live it would be much appreciated.

-Greg

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
More ram and maybe lower the game settings?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Potato Battery V2
More ram and maybe lower the game settings?

Tried lowering the settings. TF2 runs slowly with all settings at minimum and I can't find Gmod13 settings

For all I know ram costs money so its out of the question. I'm looking for a cheap fix.

Also, do the graphic settings effect the frames that much?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The medium priced gaming computers aren't "really" gaming computers.

But, they're at newegg.com in the form of individual components to build your own with what you want in it.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Potato Battery V2
The medium priced gaming computers aren't "really" gaming computers.

But, they're at newegg.com in the form of individual components to build your own with what you want in it.

Ok, so how hard would building a computer be? I've got absolutely no experience but one of my friends has a very powerful computer he built. Would it be reliable or could I screw it up and ruin the parts?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'd hesitate to say that you couldn't screw it up and ruin parts, but it's not really all that hard to do.

Start researching cases, motherboards, CPUs, hard drives, graphics cards, memory, DVD drives, and separate audio cards if you want something better than is on the mobo.
Get a friend that has built a few to help out with your first build, or what I did with my first one (gettin' close to 20 years ago now), looked in the newspaper for someone that advertised he built custom rigs and paid him to build it, with me looking over his shoulder and asking questions while he did it. Have probably built another 100 rigs since then.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Potato Battery V2
I'd hesitate to say that you couldn't screw it up and ruin parts, but it's not really all that hard to do.

Start researching cases, motherboards, CPUs, hard drives, graphics cards, memory, DVD drives, and separate audio cards if you want something better than is on the mobo.
Get a friend that has built a few to help out with your first build, or what I did with my first one (gettin' close to 20 years ago now), looked in the newspaper for someone that advertised he built custom rigs and paid him to build it, with me looking over his shoulder and asking questions while he did it. Have probably built another 100 rigs since then.

Ok, so my friend's father has built quite the machine, do you think I could ask him to help me build one? Also, how much time would it take to build one and how much money would I save?

Lastly, can alienware be trusted as a good gaming computer brand? I've seen many people saying its bad :/

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ok, so my friend's father has built quite the machine, do you think I could ask him to help me build one?

How the heck do we know…we don't know your friend's father!;)

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Potato Battery V2
How the heck do we know…we don't know your friend's father!;)

- Nick

Haha, well I don't quite know the specs but its pretty much able to run most games on max settings. If I have him telling me what to do and how to do it how fast could I build it? Also, how hard is it to find parts that haven't been eaten or sent through a wood chipper?

-Greg

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Haha, well I don't quite know the specs but its pretty much able to run most games on max settings. If I have him telling me what to do and how to do it how fast could I build it? Also, how hard is it to find parts that haven't been eaten or sent through a wood chipper?

-Greg

Used computer parts? That's probably not a good idea. No warranty and if something goes wrong you are so out of luck.

What I usually do it check Tom's hardware. They usually do gaming rig builds for X amount of money. From $500 to money is no issue kind of builds. This should give you a place to start and ideas on what kind of hardware you should get.

Then after that I just research and read reviews on various computer parts that I want.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I actually spend a fair amount of time on newegg reading reviews when I'm ready to build a new one also.

Tom's hardware is a good place to start for a case, motherboard, CPU, power supply (very important part of a really good gaming rig)...

I also would advise against used parts. If used is the route you want to go, then look in your local Craigslist for an already built custom rig you can get cheap and upgrade the parts you need to. Last one I bought like this had $1500 worth of parts I snagged for $400 and then put another $250 into it to get where I wanted to be.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.